Checks received in campus departments should be handled as follows:
- Internal control steps:
- Two people open the mail
- Log all checks in
- Include in the log: payor, check amount, date, check number, and explanation
- Reconcile entries in the check logs to information provided on Budget Activity Reports (BARs) on a timely basis. Investigate and resolve differences between the check logs and BARs.
- Lock in a safe place, such as a lock box or safe
- Process (deliver to central offices) daily if possible, at least weekly at a minimum
- Maintain separation of duties, i.e. no one person should have complete control over all aspects of a financial transaction. Ideally, authorization, accounting and custody of asset functions should be segregated.
- Endorse immediately - obtain endorsement stamp from Accounting Operations if you handle a large volume of checks
- Deliver to central offices as follows:
- Checks in payment of invoices prepared by Grant and Contract Accounting (GCA) which represent receivables on grants/contracts: 4300 Roosevelt Way NE Ste 300, Campus Box 354966
- Checks in payment of a new award or a supplement on an existing award: GCA
- Checks representing Reverse Expenditures on grants, contracts and gifts (include a Reverse Expenditure Form and copy of BAR):
- Travel, Procurement Card purchases, CTIs, ISDs, or UW Requisitions: Payables Administration, Campus Box 354967
- Work study reimbursement for Grants or Contracts: GCA
- Grant-related income for established program income budgets: GCA. See instructions for Depositing Cash and Checks
- Gift or discretionary donations (checks with Gift Transmittal Form): Gift Policy and Administration at Box 358240
- Gift or discretionary donations (cash with cash transmittal and Gift Transmittal Form): deliver in person to Student Fiscal Services in Schmitz Hall
If you are unsure of the appropriate disposition of a check but have information that it might relate to a grant or a contract, please contact GCA at (206)-616-9995 or forward the check, along with all available identifying information (budget number, grant/contract number and PI name) to Grant and Contract Accounting for deposit. The check will be deposited into the University's bank account by Grant and Contract Accounting and placed in a suspense account pending receipt of additional information as to the appropriate disposition of funds.
If you have information that a check might relate to a gift account, please contact the Gift Policy and Administration Office at (206)-685-1980 or refer to the instructions that accompany the Gift Transmittal Form.