Salary costs must be:
- Appropriate for effort expended
- Consistent with the appointment of the individual
- Supported by documentation of the expense
- Proposed and approved by the sponsor or within re-budgeting authority
Examples of Unallowable salary costs:
- Compensation for teaching costs unless the sponsored award is for Instruction or Research training.
- External consultation or another non-UW activity
- Excess compensation charges not included in Institutional Base Salary (IBS) unless approved by the sponsor.
- Administrative or clerical salaries, unless approved by the sponsor.