Skip to main content
Questions you may be asked during a conversation with your leader:
- What are you looking for in terms of job satisfaction?
- If you could do anything you want in terms of a career, what would it be?
- What are your goals?
- Do you want to change jobs but stay in the same field? Or a totally new career?
- What steps are necessary to have control over your situation? How can you position yourself to succeed?
- What are your areas of greatest strength? What areas need improvement?
- Are you hoping for promotional opportunities?
- What is the present situation?
- What are your obstacles, both internal and external?
- What have you done so far?
- What are some of your achievements?
- How do you want your career to develop? What constraints do you see?
- What resources do you have available to you?
Questions specific to course/conference/class:
- How will taking this class/course/conference fit into your career plans?
- What are your other options?
- What are the plusses and minuses of each choice?
- What other things might you consider doing to meet your goals?
- What could you do to learn besides taking classes through Professinal & Organizational Development (POD)?
- What about strengthening some other skills?
- Are you seeking a leadership position in your future plans?
- How will this class enhance your abilities?
- Have you developed a timeline to complete this work?
- Who else needs to be involved? How will they be affected? How will you gain their support?
- How can you pursue this course and maintain your current workload?
- How do you plan to apply the knowledge you gain through training?
- Is this the best fit for your goals, or are there other possibilities?
- On a scale of one to ten, what is the likelihood that you will do this? If it’s less than a 7, do you really have the motivation to do the necessary work?
Follow-up Questions (after the training is completed):
- What did you learn?
- How will you use this training in the future?
- Did you encounter unexpected obstacles?
- Will you be able to use this training immediately?
- How will you put your new knowledge to work?
- What are your next steps?
- Is it time to develop a new EDP?