Employee development is defined broadly as the development of skills and abilities needed to serve customers most effectively and to improve work processes. Training is a way to enhance the ability to deliver service, to maintain a flexible and continually educated workforce, to provide employees opportunities for growth and development, and improve overall performance.
Development may occur in many ways including
- on‐the‐job training or training within the unit,
- reading and personal study,
- practicing learned skills,
- peer mentoring,
- serving on a cross‐functional team,
- serving as a team facilitator,
- attending classes, or pursuing a degree or certification.
The Employee Development Planning program offers employees in Financial Management and F2 Administration the opportunity to design their own development plan with the support of the organization