Non-inventorial Equipment is tangible property other than land, buildings, improvements other than buildings, or infrastructure with a unit cost (including ancillary costs) of less than $5,000 which is used in operations and with a useful life of more than one year. Non-inventorial equipment is not capitalized.
Non-inventorial equipment is the responsibility of campus departments. The below guidance may be helpful to ensure non-inventorial assets are being properly safeguarded.
Non-inventorial equipment is acquired using the following object codes:
- 05-40 Non-capitalized Equipment (Less than $5,000);
- 05-41 Non-capitalized Equipment - M&E Tax Exempt ($200-$4,999);
- 05-47 Non-capitalized Equipment ($2K - $4,999) - Grandfathered Awards; or
- 05-48 Non-capitalized Equipment - M&E Tax Exempt ($2K - $4,999) - Grandfathered Awards.
Tagging and tracking non-inventorial equipment is optional.
If a department decides to track non-inventorial equipment, EIO recommends the one of the following options for doing so:
- (Preferred option) Enter items into an Excel worksheet or Access database. EIO has created a Non-inventorial Equipment Tracking Template in Excel that may help.
- Enter items into OASIS (N-Status). It is the department's responsibility enter these in OASIS.
- EIO does not enter Equipment Information Forms for non-inventorial assets into OASIS. These will be returned to the department.
- Someone in your department will need to go through the appropriate training to obtain access to OASIS. Please see OASIS Training for additional details.
- Any OASIS record is an auditable record. If you choose to track non-inventorial equipment using this method, please be sure to inventory, update, and delete non-inventorial items timely. EIO does not monitor non-inventorial OASIS items.
Non-inventorial equipment should be disposed of through the Equipment Disposal - Standard (Surplus) process. If a department decided to track non-inventorial equipment in OASIS, be sure to include the tag number on the Moving & Surplus Online Surplus Request Form. EIO will receive automatic notification from Moving & Surplus and will delete these items out of OASIS for you.