Equipment Tag Types
Note: Only the Equipment Inventory Office is authorized by the State of Washington to make tags for the University. There is no charge to the department.
Inventorial Bar Code Tag
Used for equipment $5,000 or greater in value; all sensitive inventory items.This tag is not used by UWMC or HMC.
Federal Equipment Tag
Used for Federally-owned equipment that is tracked and reported on by the University. This tag is used by UW departments with budgets funded by federal groups and for specific grants or contracts.
Agency Property Tag
Used for Agency-owned equipment that is tracked and reported on by the University. UW departments with budgets funded by agencies and for specific grants or contracts.
This tag is optional for equipment under $5,000, and is intended for departmental internal tracking only. This tag is not used by UWMC or HMC.
UWMC Inventorial Tags
Used by UWMC for equipment $5,000 or greater in value. The color changes each year.
Obsolete Tags - No Longer Issued
White Inventorial Tag
Used prior to July 1, 2016 for assets with a value of $2,000 or more. Discontinued after capitalization threshold was raised to $5,000.
Silver Inventorial Tag
Inventory tag used prior to the white tag.
Old UWMC Tag
This tag is no longer in use. Please see above for image of current UWMC tag design.
Standard Tag Locations
Tags should be affixed to equipment in the most visible, unobtrusive, location possible in order to:
- Identify the property as University, Federal Government, or Agency owned.
- Make the inventory process as easy as possible for the departmental inventory contact.
As a general rule, tags should be affixed to the front or top of the equipment. This is not always possible. Guidance for certain categories of equipment are included below:
- Computers – front or top of CPU, side of CPO if front or top is not practical
- Laptops – top of the closed laptop
- Scientific equipment - front or top, bottom or back if front or top is not practical
- Ceiling projectors - bottom of projector so that visible from the floor
- Monitors (inventorial) - front
- Art – back or bottom (least obtrusive)
- Rugs – bottom corner
- Large appliances - front when possible, back right side if front not practical
- Electronics – back or bottom right side
- Mirrors – back right side
- Piano - under right side of keyboard
- General - on stand or case
- Desks - under right drawer
- Tables - under right side
- Dressers - under right drawer
- End Tables - under right side
- Lamps (only if has appraised value) – on bottom
- Hutches/cabinets - under right drawer
- Chairs - under right side
- Couches - under right side
- Beds - under bottom right side
- Mattresses under bottom right side of box spring