There are several different procedures that relate to equipment tags. Each department has a designated inventory officer (contact) who is responsible for tagging equipment within 3-7 days after receipt (unless prior arrangements are made with EIO) and entering the equipment information into OASIS or reporting it to Equipment Inventory.
If equipment information is not entered into OASIS prior to payment, a Pending Asset will result.
Asset Tag Update - Due to the threshold change effective July 1, 2016, we now use a different style of asset tags. If you are unsure whether you are using the current inventorial asset tag, please see this page, which has photos of the tags.
- To order equipment tags, the inventory contact must fill out the online Equipment Tag Request Form. This can also be found in the Quick Links box on the lower right side of any of our Equipment Inventory Office web pages.
- Complete the online form and submit to Equipment Inventory.
- Please be prepared to submit the following information:
- First and last name
- Department name to be on the tags
- Organization code or budget number (for record-keeping purposes - there is no charge for equipment tags)
- Type of tag desired
- Quantity of tags needed (any multiple of 25)
- UW box number
- Inventory contacts should always have tag stock on hand for new equipment.
- If equipment is equal to or greater than $5,000, it should be tagged with a dark purple bar code tag (in a visible, central part of the equipment) within 3-7 days after receipt (unless prior arrangements are made with EIO). Even if the item is to remain in its box for some time before use, it should be opened and inspected, tagged, and the necessary identifying information recorded within 3-7 days after receipt (unless prior arrangements are made with EIO).
- Identifying information can either be input directly into OASIS by the inventory contact or reported to Equipment Inventory on a UW Equipment Information Form. Required information includes:
- UW Tag Number
- Acquisition Method
- Date Received
- Class Code
- Total Cost
- Accountable Budget
- Requisition Number
- Status (enter - T)
- Room Number
- Serial Number
- If equipment is less than $5,000 and a department chooses to tag and track it, it must be tagged with a light purple bar code tag (in a visible, central part of the equipment). If you have questions about tagging and tracking non-inventorial assets (less than $5000 in value), please see this page.
- Identifying information can either be input directly into OASIS by the inventory contact. Information required by OASIS is the same as above; however, for 'Status' enter - N for Non-inventorial.
Updating Tag Numbers
Tag numbers may need to be updated for a variety of reasons:
- When an equipment item is defective and is exchanged under warranty;
- When a tag is damaged;
- When a tag is being updated, such as going from an old silver tag to a bar code tag; or
- When correcting a data entry error.
For internal control purposes, departments cannot make tag number changes. To update a tag number, put an "EIO Note" in OASIS or send an email to email@example.com requesting Equipment Inventory to change the older tag number to the new tag number.