Reverse Expenditure/Reverse Cash Transmittal Process
Checks received as payback for reported expenditures (e.g. refunds from a vendor or subcontractor) should be endorsed and deposited along with other check deposits from the department via direct deposit Cash Transmittal process.
NOTE: expenditure credits must be posted only to the budgets that incurred the expense initially (with the exception of Grant and Contract continuation budgets set up for the same award). **Violations will result in audit findings**
If your department is not currently depositing checks with a deposit ticket book, contact email@example.com for instructions on completing a deposit and cash transmittal.
Key items for the proper use of the direct depositing process:
- Assign the refund credit to the same budget number and expenditure/object code of the original expense being refunded when filing out the cash transmittal form. (A continuation budget number on the same award, if applicable, may be used if the original budget is closed.)
- Checks are to be prepared and restricted for deposit immediately upon receipt
- Questions or requests for training and facilitation should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The direct depositing process should be used for all checks and cash received in the department except sponsor payments on Grants & Contracts – send these directly to GCA (Campus Box 354966)
- For additional information regarding the direct depositing process see https://finance.uw.edu/bao/cash-receivables