This User Guide provides a basic understanding of the features and functionality of the Fiscal Compliance Transactions.
There are 5 main parts to each Dashboard:
- Help: links to information on the Dashboard functionality, e-mail help request, and specific information on each Dashboard.
- Filters: user selects data to show in the Chart and Table
- Chart: displays selected data in both a bar (vertical axis) and Month/Year (horizontal axis)
- Table: displays selected data by Budget Number
- Export: download displayed data into Excel
To clear any selection, click:
- "Undo" to go back to the last selection;
- "Revert" to go back to the default settings.
Across the top of each Dashboard are links to:
- a general User Guide on Dashboard functionality (this webpage);
- firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail for questions or assistance; and
- the PAFC webpage with more information about the specific Dashboard.
Use the Filters to select the data to display in the Chart and Table.
The first filter is how the data in the bars is displayed. A color key is at the bottom of the Filter box. The filter options are unique to each Dashboard.
The Display Measure has two options:
- Transaction Count: data in Chart and Table are displayed by the count of the transactions.
- Transaction Amount: data in the Chart and Table are displayed by the dollar value of the transactions.
Display Last N Months selects the number of months to show from the most current month available (the last month that has closed).
For example, if the most current month available was December 2017 and the user selected six months to display, the data displayed would be the last six months from December 2017 (July – December 2017)
The monthly data upload will be completed by the 10th day of the month following the reporting month. For example, the December 2017 data will be available by January 10, 2018.
All other filters are standard. Filters cannot be set at default; they must be established with each use.
- To select item(s) from a Drop Down list, Uncheck the “All” box then check the item(s) from the available list.
- Select a single item by using the search box in each filter as follows:
Click the down arrow in the filter box
Enter the item in the search box that appears at the top of the drop down list (above “All”)
Click on the item when it appears in the drop down list
The Chart displays the data based on the selections in the Filter box.
The color block will be determined by the item selected in the first drop down. A color key is at the bottom of the Filter box.
The vertical axis will provide an amount relative to the count or amount, as selected.
The horizontal axis displays the Month/Year as selected in the Display Last N Months filter. Tableau only allows data to be selected from the most recent month back.
Hover over a Bar in the Chart and a box will appear summary information of the selection.
Click on a Bar in the Chart and a menu at the top of the hover box will appear:
Keep Only: only this data will appear in the Chart
Exclude: this data will be excluded in the Chart
Detail: shows the underlying transaction data. This opens up the Tableau export functionality which can be used but does not allow for any customization and thus presents the data in a less-than-idea format. See Part 5 below for more information on exporting data.
Displays the selected data on the vertical axis by the first Filter, Budget Number and Name, and on the horizontal axis by Month/Year.
Click data in data in the table and transaction information in the table and corresponding data in the charts will be highlighted.
Detailed transaction data can be exported either using Tableau functionality or a UW-customized format.
UW Custom Format
To export the transaction detail of the Filtered data (as identified in the Filter box):
- Ensure that no part of the Chart or the Table are selected (highlighted); click any part of the white background to be sure (if any part of the Chart or Table are highlighted, then only the select data will be downloaded in the Tableau format which is not an ideal presentation).
- Click on “HERE” in the yellow “Export” box
- From the upper right menu bar, click on “Download” and select “Data” from the drop down list:
(WARNING: Do not select "Crosstab" from the above list; the data will download but the dataset is incomplete; Tableau has been advised of this error but there is currently no fix and the option cannot be disabled)
- A separate page will open:
- To export the data into Excel, click on the link to "Download all rows as a text file."
As described in Part 3, users can select the Detail option from clicking on a Bar or Table selection. A dialog box will open to export the data but the data content, format, and presentation are not ideal and Tableau does not allow for customization.
If users select the Download/Crosstab function without first selecting the yellow Export button the data that will be generated will be based on the last place the user clicked on the Dashboard and the data presented is fixed by Tableau and cannot be customized.
We recommend using the UW Custom Format as described in Part 5. above.
Displays the detailed information entered into MyFD when the Cost Transfer was created. It includes the person who created the Cost Transfer, the person who approved the Cost Transfer, and responses to the two or three (as appropriate) questions in MyFD. This data is more easily viewed using the Export function described in Part 5 above.