Click on a question below to view the answer. Limit the results by entering a search term.

Field Advance

Additional UW employees are only added as the Requestor to manage or reconcile the advance on behalf of the Custodian.  Multiple approvers are now allowed.

To add additional requestors:

  • Log onto your field advance dashboard
  • Click on your field advance number (blue link)
  • Click on “Manage Additional Requestors” at the top of the page
  • Type in name of requestor
  • Click “Add”

Field Advance = Receipts (Receipts/Invoices Show Paid) + Remaining Funds Not Spent (To be Returned)

To help you balance your field advance before submitting the reconciliation online, you can use our Balancing Spreadsheet to help determine if the field advance reconciliation is in balance.  Field advances must balance to zero, so if you are off by a few pennies, round those line items to balance.

If you have funds that are remaining on the UW per diem debit card after you have reconciled (you must submit your receipts before returning funds), click on “Return Funds” and the field advance desk will unload the card.  Do not withdraw cash.

If you have cash or a check to deposit, please email for deposit materials and to assist with closing your field advance online.

If you need to send funds back electronically (wire or ACH), please email to obtain payment instructions.

Please log in to the field advance dashboard to review the status of a field advance you have requested or approved. Check the appropriate box in the left-hand corner of the screen to view the field advances on the dashboard.

To determine the status, locate “Status Description” on the dashboard.  Below it defines what each status represents:

In Process – The request has not been submitted for departmental approval; the custodian can still edit the request

Departmental Approval Required – The request is pending departmental approval; the custodian should contact the approver to approve the request

Central Office Approval and Processing – The field advance desk received request and it is pending their review

Waiting Funding – The field advance desk has approved the request and the funding is in pending/in progress

Current – Field advance processed and funded

Yes, a field advance can be requested on behalf of a student or faculty member.  The custodian must be a permanent UW employee and not have any past due field advances.


Food Approval

No, food purchased for research does not require a food approval form.  Please refer to the Food Approval page for more information.  

If you purchase an item normally classified as food but use it for another purpose, it is still treated as food and therefore, not taxable.

Example 1: A department purchases vinegar but uses it for cleaning. The vinegar is not taxable. 

Example 2: A department purchases pumpkins in fall and has students decorate them for display in the office. The pumpkins are still considered food and are not taxable.

What are examples of items which do not apply to this rule? Items sold for medical or hygiene purposes, alcohol, tobacco, candy, bottled water, soft drinks, and prepared foods. 

See:, #2b.


Reimbursement for meals is usually under specific circumstances, because the UW does not normally pay for a person’s lunch during their work hours. Circumstances that the meal could be reimbursed are, as an example, if you hosted or attended a business meeting where a meal or light refreshment was an integral part of the meeting or a recognition or training event. 

Per the Food Approval page, gift budgets are now the only types of budgets that are flagged for food. To flag a gift budget for food approval, please contact GCA at For all other budgets, please follow the guidance found on the Food Approval page to approve meals and light refreshments.

Department should keep the completed food approval forms on file in the department. When paying for food or an event through ARIBA, departments may also attach the form to the order or invoice in ARIBA (such as on a Non-Catalog order, Non-PO Invoice, or eReimbursement).

Food or beverages integral to an event is meant to indicate the types of meetings where UW business is conducted, the location is away from the place where the employee normally performs his or her work, where food and refreshments are needed or wanted, and where obtaining meals or refreshments would be disruptive to event continuity. In these cases, a Food Approval form for meeting/trainings can be used.

Generally, the Food Approval form is not for regularly scheduled meetings, such as a department-wide monthly meeting. Refreshments served at these types of meetings would require a discretionary budget. 

Foreign Suppliers

Tax treaty information can be found under the "Overview of Payments" link above the question, "Is there a tax treaty?"

Foreign suppliers (entities or individuals) should not complete the current UW Supplier Registration Form.

Foreign entities performing services within the United States must have a current copy of the appropriate IRS form on file with the NRA Tax Desk in Accounts Payable in order to do business with the University. Visit the IRS website to download current forms and instructions (W-8BEN, W-8BEN-E, etc.).

Foreign entities selling products and/or performing services outside the United States are currently not required to fill out the Supplier Registration form or any other IRS document unless it is a copywrite or royalty payment.

Foreign individuals should refer to the UW Global Operations Support page regarding Foreign National Payments and Tax for more information.

Foreign suppliers can sign up for Paymode (ACH payments) if they have a U.S. bank account.

If they do not, then they are not eligible for Paymode at this time.

Paymode does not charge a fee for the exchange rate. However, the supplier's bank might.


UW Procurement Services strongly recommends inside delivery for equipment weighing more than 100 pounds. Inside delivery includes uncrating, setting up the equipment at its intended location and removal of packaging debris. Inside delivery eliminates liability risks and is well worth the minor cost.
Here’s why:

  • It’s never a good idea to leave expensive equipment on an unsecured loading dock awaiting its final destination.
  • Employee safety: when employees try to install heavy equipment even with correct equipment, departments put themselves at risk for potential injuries to staff and L&I claims.
  • Internal delivery gives departments the ability to inspect equipment for hidden damages prior to signing the delivery receipt.
  • Inside delivery ensures the proper transfer of “chain of ownership” that makes it clear who is responsible for damage during the shipping or installation process.

Never ship to a home address, that is strictly forbidden.

General Sourcing Questions

You can determine if a purchase is being made with state-appropriated funds by looking at the budget in MyFD (My Financial Desktop). If the budget field entitled “State Fund” says “No Value”, that means the budget is NOT state-appropriated funds. However, if there is any value (such as 001) in that field, then the budget is state-appropriated funds. There is also an identifier on the requisition that alerts the Buyer if a purchase requisition has any state-appropriated funding.


If a supplier is adding a restocking fee on either the credit or the new invoice, the invoice/credit may fail in ARIBA if the supplier adds the fee as a line item. Have the supplier add the restocking fee in the Header Charges and resubmit the invoice through ARIBA.

Payment Numbers starting with:

T - Invoices paid to the supplier electronically through ACH (Paymode)
R - Invoices paid to the supplier electronically through Bank Card
A - Invoices paid to the supplier by paper check

When Invoice Reconciliation has started in ARIBA (an IR is available on the Reconciliation tab), the Payments tab will show up as well.

  • On the day the invoice status changes from Reconciling to Reconciled, the Approved Amount of the invoice will show on the Payments tab.
  • The following day, more payment information will begin showing up in the ARIBA Payments tab, like the Doc Seq Invoice No. (DSI number) and Invoice Status, followed by the Scheduled Pay Date and the Check Number, and finally with the Check Date, which is the date the payment is issued.
    • Funds availability for ePayables is indicated by receipt of the Remittance Advice document the supplier will receive when funds are available on the card.
    • Funds availability for ACH payments is based on the supplier's bank's posting procedures.
  • The Check Clear Date will show when the information is available, and also depends on processing by the supplier and payment type (paper checks may take 30 days or more to update).

Note: This is the best-case scenario, assuming there are no errors (such as a closed budget number) that would prevent the payment from being processed.

Unfortunately, you cannot tell if more than one invoice was paid on the same check number from the Payments tab. The Payment Loop process does not show all payments that were made under the same Check Number.

Each invoice will show its corresponding payment information on the Payments tab, but the Check Number visible on the Payments tab may include other invoice payments that were issued on the same day to the same supplier.

The Payment Loop project will allow payment information to be seen on the Payments tab for 1-1/2 years. Data will also go back 1-1/2 years on the Payment tab for departments.

In general, invoices will be processed for payment Net 30 days from the date a properly completed invoice with a valid purchase order number is received in UW Accounts Payable.

Invoices will not be processed for payment until all items invoiced have been received.

Please also see our General Terms and Conditions.