Click on a question below to view the answer. Limit the results by entering a search term.


Visit our Contracts page for guidance on how to get Contracts reviewed by Purchasing. 


Corporate Travel Services

The CTA can be used to charge lodging only for:
  • UW Students. 
  • NON-UW travelers. 
  • Five (5) or more UW travelers attending a conference/group event in the U.S. or British Columbia, Canada where the UW is reserving and paying for the block of rooms and prior written approval has been obtained from the ProCard office ( 

Yes! Please always use a CTA account to pay for graduate students’ airfare and hotel lodging (room and sales tax only) whenever possible.

Your department’s CTA account will be automatically renewed by JPMC. The account number will remain the same, but the expiration date and 3 digits security code will change. Corporate Travel Services will send you an e-mail along with the new information a month in advance before the old expiration date expires.

UW faculty and staff with a minimum of six months of employment status.

The CTA is a VISA charge account issued by the bank for all UW business airfare, coach rail, and bus tickets. All CTA transactions are billed to a central UW billing account that is paid monthly by eCommerce Services.

Only UW faculty and staff are qualified for a card.

Your Travel Card will be automatically renewed by JPMC. The account number will remain the same, but the expiration date and 3 digits security code will change. Corporate Travel Services will send you an email along with the required training information a month in advance before your card expires. Please contact our office at (206) 543-5252 if you don't receive the email.

UW Travel Card is to be used for individual’s travel expenses only. Sharing a card is not recommended.

For travel reimbursement, card holders file an Expense Report through the UW Travel Office:


Yes, when an account is in delinquent status, a delinquency fee will be assessed. Please be advised, account delinquency fee is not reimbursable by the UW. Please click "here" for a copy of the fees that JPMorgan Chase charges. 

Applying for a UW Travel Card is optional. Yes, you can use your own personal credit cards to pay for your travel expenses and then seek for reimbursement.

Approximately 2 weeks after you receive your UW Travel Card account, your online access will be set up. You may login with your UW NetID and password to access to the JPMC Travel PaymentNet.

It is strictly against state regulations to use UW Travel Card for personal expenses at any time, which would include any expense other than an expense authorized in this Policy.
Using the UW Travel Card for personal use is a violation of the Washington State Ethics Act and will result in the immediate cancelation of the card.

CTA is a “card-less account” type of account. There is no actual plastic issued.

You must pay the full balance on the card by the next billing statement.

The UW Travel Card is issued by JPMorgan Chase directly to the user. As such, it is governed by a contract that is solely between JPMorgan Chase and the cardholder. Cardholders are personally responsible for paying all charges on the UW Travel Card.

The contract between the cardholder and the bank requires full payment of the balance by the next billing statement, and if the cardholder fails to do so, late fees begin to incur at 60 days past due and the card is suspended.

Upon receipt of complete and proper documentation, the UW Travel Office reimburses official UW travel expenses in a timely manner through the online eTravel system. As a condition of accepting reimbursement from the UW, cardholders agree to use all of the reimbursement money to pay the charges in full on the UW Travel Card.

If there is a balance on the UW Travel Card, and the reimbursement money is not used to pay the balance in full, the cardholder will be subject to corrective actions for violating the terms of this policy, and will be subject to proceedings under the State Ethics Act. Using travel reimbursements for anything other than paying the corresponding travel charges constitutes fraud and will lead to corrective actions which may also include dismissal.

The contract between the cardholder and JPMorgan Chase permits communication between the bank and UW about the status of payments to the bank, including when cardholders do not honor the obligation to pay the statement balance in full by the due date. If the UW receives notice that a statement balance has not been paid in full by the due date, UW Corporate Travel Services will contact the cardholder and the department administrator to facilitate payment. 

  • An account becomes 60/90 days past due. 
  • Two (2) dishonored checks issued to JPMorgan Chase or reversal of two electronic payments routed to the bank. 
  • An account is repeatedly delinquent. 
  • Travel reimbursement is not used to pay all corresponding charges on the account. 
  • Using the card for personal charges. 
  • Individual is no longer on the University payroll (e.g. resignation, leave of absence without pay, etc.). 
  • Eighteen months with no account activity. 
  • Failure to comply with UW and State of Washington travel regulations.

If your account is terminated for delinquency, non-payments, improper use of reimbursements, or using the card for personal charges, the account cannot be reinstated.


If a supplier includes a discount on an invoice, this does not change the amount you receive. The steps to determine the amount to receive remain the same:

1. Review the invoice to verify that the goods or services have been received.

2. Enter the line item amount invoiced into the Amt. Accepted field.

3. Do not change the amount accepted for the line item based on the discounted amount. Receive for the full amount of the line item as it was invoiced.

4. Enter any Comments or Attachments as needed, and click Submit.

Note: Since you must receive for the full amount of the line item price, the BPO must also be set up for the pre-discount amount as well. Make sure to set the Maximum for the line item and the Maximim Limit on the Summary of the BPO for the pre-discounted (full price) amount.

If a supplier includes a discount on your quote, this does not change the Maximum Amount of your BPO. The BPO must be set up for the pre-discount amount. Make sure to set the Maximum for the line item and the Maximim Limit on the Summary of the BPO for the pre-discounted (full price) amount.

The supplier must include the discount amount on the invoice as part of the Header Charges when the invoice is submitted. The header charge area is used for discounts, tax, shipping and handling. When receiving, you must receive for the full amount of the line item price as well. The header discount will be applied and the payment will be issued for the amount minus the discount.


Central Office has strict rules about what can be verified as appropriate charges on a budget. Because we can’t verify what is and is not allowable on budgets (nor should we since they are not our budgets), we can only make budget changes to and from the same budget type. However, you as the department know what is allowable and can create an expense transfer in MyFD once the invoice posts to change it to whatever budget you deem appropriate. 

An encumbrance for $1.00 will appear in MyFinancial Desktop or on FIN screen 6 when charges to a requisition are different in amount than the total of the original order or when the items paid differ from the items ordered. There may or may not be pending charges, but the encumbrance remains on FIN at the nominal amount of $1.00.


Suppliers can register through the Supplier Registration Form (SuRF). If a supplier checks that Yes, they do accept credit card payments, they will be contacted by Procurement Services to sign them up for the ePayables payment card. For more information, see the ePayables web site. If the supplier checks that No, they do not accept credit card payments, they will be directed to other electronic payment methods.

The ARIBA Payments tab will always show "Check" on the Transaction Details, even though our preferred method of payment is the ePayables bank card.

The "Check Number" includes a letter at the beginning which identifies the actual payment method which is typically an electronic method instead of a check. In addition, a supplier's system may take our payment number (the "Check Number") and convert it to a transaction number where the letter is replaced by a corresponding number and the remaining digits stay the same. Here is what the different Check Numbers on the Payments tab mean:

UW Check Number Letter Supplier Transaction Number Payment Type
R (Example: R094266) 52 (Example: 52094266) ePayables Card
T (Example: T163242) 51 (Example: 51163242) ACH
A (Example: A499859) 10 (Example: 10499859) Paper Check

* Note: Paper checks are printed featuring the Check Number beginning with "A." Depending on a supplier's deposit process, their bank processing may convert this to the Transaction Number where the "A" is converted to "10" as shown in the matrix above. 


This is actually a question the vendor can take to their merchant bank.

The vendor would be set up for merchant services with a Merchant (acquiring) Bank so they can accept credit cards. That Merchant Bank would have provided them to set up some kind of terminal for them to accept credit card transactions (either swipe a card (in person) or key in the account number. As we know from being consumers, there are may different kinds of terminals out there. Their Merchant Bank would have provided them with instructions on how to key in card transactions on their terminal. The Merchant Bank would also have already provided instructions or established some kind of process to the vendor they represent on how to transmit a payment file for settlement. Their Merchant Bank would then deposit the card funds to the account your vendor has set up with their Merchant Bank to receive the funds.

Recommendation: Refer to your internal business partners who manage the merchant services for support with ow to process card transactions on the terminals and how to actually receive the funds.