Use this form to request a replacement for a Financial Aid/Refund check. This form must be completed by the person to whom the check was made payable to. Affidavits for Parent PLUS loans must be completed by the parent who borrowed the loan.

**Please note: An affidavit is a request to cancel and replace a check that is
lost, undelivered, or otherwise missing. Once submitted, the check will be
canceled and can no longer be deposited or cashed. If you receive or find the canceled check, do not attempt to deposit or cash it, as it may result in
fees from your bank.

If you have a balance due on your tuition account at the time you are
requesting a check affidavit, funds from the cancelled check may pay towards the balance due before a new check can be issued.

If you do not have the check number, enter N/A instead.

For questions, call SFS Customer Service at 206-543-4694