Student Tax Information


The IRS will not call and threaten you with arrest, require payment of taxes in a certain way, or request credit or debit card information over the phone.

If you actually become a victim of such a scam on our campus, please file a non-emergency police report with the UWPD, by calling 206-685-UWPD (8973). If you have further questions, please contact the UWPD Community Outreach Unit at 206-616-0873.

Student Fiscal Services monitors student tax information at the University of Washington. This information includes data for use in claiming educational tax credits and deductions that you have paid for tuition and fees. In addition, the UW provides information to help you determine if your scholarships, fellowships, grants or tuition reductions are taxable.

The UW cannot provide individual tax advice. If you have questions, you should consult your tax advisor about your specific circumstances.

Scholarships, fellowships, grants and tuition reductions are not considered taxable income if they are used solely for qualified educational expenses. Any amount used for personal or non-qualified expenses are subject to tax. For more details refer to the IRS Publication 970 - Scholarships and Fellowships.

Washington State's Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET) program is a 529 qualified tuition program according to IRS regulations. This program allows individuals to prepay for student's college educational expenses. Funds from the GET program are used to reduce qualified educational expenses. The amounts used to pay these expenses are not taxable or reported to the IRS on the 1098T forms that the UW provides students for filing their tax returns.

How to update a Social Security Number on your student
account record


Every Year, the UW prepares and issues a 1098T tax form to most students. A student’s tax ID# (Social Security Number) is included in the 1098T form when the UW submits this information to the IRS. To help us report the correct information, please provide us your missing Social Security Number by performing the following:

• Bring a copy of your Social Security card or your Tax ID number to our office - Room 129 Schmitz Hall, Seattle, WA 98195, or you can fax a copy of your SS# or TIN# to our office at 206-685-2942. If you are not able to bring your card in person and do not have access to a fax machine, you can also submit via Docusign by signing in with your UW credentials.

• If you cannot find your Social Security card, you can bring a copy of your current tax return form to our office.

• If you cannot find your Social Security card or don’t have a tax return form, you can fill out the IRS W-9S form and bring it or fax it to our office. 

Please do not send social security number to us by email.

Student Tax Resources

Student Fiscal Services has PowerPoint presentations to help you understand the forms that you received and share with you some updated tax information from the IRS.

Watch the PowerPoint presentations below:

For questions, please email for assistance.

Powered by Drupal