Click on a question below to view the answer. Limit the results by entering a search term.


Students have through the 7th calendar day (including weekends and holidays) of each quarter to make changes to their schedule without incurring a financial penalty. Students are charged one-half of the tuition reduction (50% forfeiture) for classes dropped from the 8th through the 30th calendar day of the quarter. If they drop below fulltime, they will be charged the tuition rate for the number of credits that they are taking, plus one-half of the difference between full-time tuition and the new rate. For changes made on the 31st day or later, they will be charged 100% of the tuition amount. Additionally, after the 7th calendar day, the Registrar’s Office will assess a $20 late change fee. Summer drop/forfeiture dates are different.

Student Health Insurance programs changed summer 2014- and it became available for international student only. For more information go to: insurance-health- plan/

If the student signs up for direct deposit, the money will automatically go into their bank account. Students may sign up for direct deposit on MyUW.


Otherwise a check will be mailed to the student’s local address. (Aid checks cannot be picked up in person). Aid checks may take up to 10 business days to reach the student by mail, so signing up for direct deposit is strongly encouraged to receive the funds quickly and safely. Important: students should confirm the accuracy of their address regularly in MyUW to ensure funds are delivered accurately.

Students may apply for a short-term loan online through MyUW. Applicants will be informed of their eligibility immediately and will be able to electronically sign a promissory note online. They can have the funds applied to their tuition account balance immediately. If they are signed up for direct deposit, the excess funds will be deposited into their bank account within three business days; otherwise a check will be mailed. Be aware that these are short term loans and that payment will be due the following quarter.


We accept Automated Clearing House (ACH) bank deposits and wire transfers for tuition and invoice payments. To get our Domestic ACH/EFT and/or Foreign Wire Transfer information, please email our office at

MyUW will list the scholarships that the UW has received for you by the Friday before the quarter starts. Your individual scholarships will not be listed by name, but instead grouped by type of scholarship.

You must be registered for classes for the current quarter before any funds can be released to your account. If you are not registered for the current quarter, the funds may be applied to a future quarter.

Funds will always be applied to your account according to the scholarship provider’s wishes. If no instructions are provided, all checks for $2000 or more will be split over the remaining quarters in the academic year. Checks for less than $2000 will be applied to the current quarter.

Scholarship Providers’ payments must be received by SFS by the tuition due date. You may be assessed a late fee for any unpaid balance on your student account after the tuition due date. You may avoid the late fee by paying your balance on time and then have your scholarship provider’s funds reimburse you once they are received by the university.

Funds in excess of account charges may be released to you, depending on your scholarship. Please refer to the award letter from your scholarship provider for details.
Note: The University Bookstore is not part of the University of Washington and charges for books are not included in University charges.

To access your AmeriCorps award, you can complete your request online through your AmeriCorps account.

If you wish to have the award applied to your tuition, you must make this request online no later than the tuition due date. Your student account will be credited for the amount you are eligible to receive. Any charges not covered by AmeriCorps must be paid by the tuition due date.

The University of Washington will invoice Third Party scholarship providers that have agreed to pay all or a portion of a student’s tuition, fees, or other charges.

If classes are added after the first day of the quarter, which increase your tuition balance, please email to inform Student Fiscal Services of this change. We will then send an additional invoice to your scholarship provider.

You must turn in a government agency purchase order, field order, contract, or employer sponsorship letter to Student Fiscal Services at the beginning of each quarter. Once this is received, your account will be credited and SFS will bill your scholarship provider. It will be your responsibility to pay any charges not covered by your scholarship provider or if we do not receive payment on your behalf.

If you are registered only for UW PCE classes, scholarship funds cannot be released to pay your tuition or to print you a check. Contact UW PCE for payment instructions.

All scholarships are processed through the Seattle campus and will be applied to your account in the same way regardless of which campus you attend. Please submit any necessary paperwork to the Seattle campus.

Please contact Student Fiscal Services to have a refund sent to your scholarship provider. You will need a contact name and current address for your scholarship provider in order to ensure accurate refunds.
If scholarship providers wish to have excess funds returned to them, they will need to collect the money directly from you.
Note: University of Washington does not forward any scholarship funds to other institutions. We will return your scholarship to your donor and they can re-issue the check to your school.

Phone: 206-543-4694
Fax: 206-616-2678

Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET)

To use GET funds at the UW, the account holder must request a payment through the GET office. Their office can also advise on the appropriate number of units to request. Contact the GET office for assistance at 1-800-955-2318 or visit their website.

UW processes GET payments 3 or 4 times a week during the first few weeks of each academic quarter. During that time a payment will arrive within 2-3 business days from the day it is requested. Payments requested after that period may take additional processing time.

GET funds can be used to pay tuition and fees as well as U-Pass or housing charges. However, most GET plans do not have enough units for all of these different costs for all four years of a typical degree program. Contact the GET office for information about how to best budget your GET units.

SFS will process housing payments for students living with UW Housing and Food Services (HFS) only. For any other living arrangements, including fraternities and sororities, contact the GET office for instructions.