Frequently Asked Questions

  • Click question to view answer.
  • Search all categories or a specific category selected from the list at right.

Financial aid

If the student signs up for direct deposit, the money will automatically go into their bank account. Students may sign up for direct deposit on MyUW.


Otherwise a check will be mailed to the student’s local address. (Aid checks cannot be picked up in person). Aid checks may take up to 10 business days to reach the student by mail, so signing up for direct deposit is strongly encouraged to receive the funds quickly and safely. Important: students should confirm the accuracy of their address regularly in MyUW to ensure funds are delivered accurately.

Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET)

​​​​​​To use GET funds at the UW, the account holder must request a payment through the GET office. Their office can also advise on the appropriate number of units to request. Contact the GET office for assistance at 1-800-955-2318 or visit their website. SFS will process housing payments for students living with UW Housing and Food Services (HFS) only. For any other living arrangements, including fraternities and sororities, contact the GET office for instructions.

​​​​​​UW processes GET payments 3 or 4 times a week during the first few weeks of each academic quarter. During that time a payment will arrive within 2-3 business days from the day it is requested. Payments requested after that period may take additional processing time.

Tuition and other fees charged on the tuition account and UW Housing and Food Services charges. Any other costs cannot be processed to UW, and it’s best to discuss with GET.


Our vendor ECSI, manages our Perkins, Health Professional, Institutional, and past due Short Term Loans. All federal loans, Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford, Grad Plus, and Parent Plus are managed by vendors that work in conjunction with the Department of Education.

For Federal loans you can go to or  For loans handled by the University, go to  You can sign up for on-line access to your account. This enables you to manage your student loan account through their website.   It is critical that you keep in touch with the university and ECSI by providing us with your updated email, address and phone number so we can contact you with any changes/concerns about your loans. 

Contact ECSI, at 1-888-549-3274 or email to discuss your situation and they will provide you with any available options for you.

Certain loans provide benefits such as deferment, forbearance, loan rehabilitation or cancellation. These benefits can postpone payments, reduce payment amounts or cancel some or all of the principal loan balance. Other payment arrangements may be possible.

If you have a period of prolonged illness, unemployment, or other hardships that prevents you from making scheduled payments, you may qualify for a deferment or forbearance.   It is best to call ECSI and discuss your situation.  They will assist you and provide you the links to find the required forms.  Note:  there are other situations that may allow you to get a deferment or forbearance, so we encourage you to contact ECSI at 1-888-549-3274 or email

Defaulted Perkins Loans can be restored to current loan status through rehabilitation. To do so, the borrower must enter into a written payment agreement and voluntarily make nine (9) on time consecutive monthly payments in an amount determined by ECSI. If a Perkins Loan is successfully rehabilitated, eligibility for new Title IV financial aid will be reinstated, the original terms including deferment and cancellation benefits will be reinstated, and late payment history will be removed from the credit history. A borrower may rehabilitate a loan only once; if a loan goes into default again, the default status will continue until the loan is paid in full.

The university may declare a loan to be in default for failure to:

  • Make a scheduled payment when due
  • Submit to the university, on or before the due date of a scheduled payment, documentation of eligibility for forbearance, deferment, or cancellation; or
  • Non-compliance with the terms and conditions of the Master Promissory Note or written repayment agreement.

The consequences for defaulting on a Perkins Loan may include, but is not limited to:

  • Reporting to credit bureaus, delinquent debt collections procedures under Federal law, and litigation
  • Referral to collections agencies and incurring additional charges
  • Loss of eligibility for deferment, forbearance or cancellation benefits
  • Loss of eligibility for future Title IV Federal financial aid (Perkins, Pell Grants, Federal Direct or Federal Family Education Loans, or any other Federal Aid)
  • The loan may be accelerated, and the entire balance declared immediately due and payable, including principal, interest, late fees and collection costs.
  • The loan may be assigned to the Department of Education for collections
  • Inability to order official transcripts until the loan is paid current
In cases where payments are not made for an extended period of time, we will send you a number of notices, and if we do not hear back from you, you may be sent to collections. Your promissory note and/or The Financial Liability Agreement, which students sign at registration provides the information regarding collections and the costs of collection efforts. Collection fees are percentage based, determined by your balance and added to the amount our collection agencies manage. For example: Your past due loans are $10,000. If the collection fees are 40%, $4,000 is added to the amount sent to collections and you now owe $14,000!


  1. The tuition statement on MyUW serves as the official tuition bill. No paper bills are sent for tuition. MyUW can be found at
  2. Housing & Food Services will bill separately for UW housing. This fee will appear on the official tuition bill at the beginning of the quarter only if the student notifies Housing & Food Services that financial aid will pay for their housing. Contact HFS (206-543- 4059) if you need to set up financial aid payment.
  3. Participation in Early Fall Start will be paid for at the time of registration. Questions should be directed to Professional and Continuing Education at 206-543- 2310 or email

Students are required to give permission via MyUW before student fiscal information can be given to third parties such as parents. The third party will receive an email notification once this access has been established with their own password to allow them to view a modified version of MyUW. Please go to can to find account access.


University of Washington
P.O. Box 24967
Seattle, WA 98124

Students need to report all scholarships to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) if they were not already reported on their award notice.

Note: To check on the status of a scholarship, first call the sponsor.

MyUW will list the scholarships that the UW has received for you by the Friday before the quarter starts. Your individual scholarships will not be listed by name, but instead grouped by type of scholarship. You must be registered for classes for the current quarter before any funds can be released to your account. If you are not registered for the current quarter, the funds may be applied to a future quarter. Funds will always be applied to your account according to the scholarship provider’s wishes. If no instructions are provided, all checks for $2000 or more will be split over the remaining quarters in the academic year. Checks for less than $2000 will be applied to the current quarter.
Scholarship Providers’ payments must be received by SFS by the tuition due date. You may be assessed a late fee for any unpaid balance on your student account after the tuition due date. You may avoid the late fee by paying your balance on time and then have your scholarship provider’s funds reimburse you once they are received by the university.

To access your AmeriCorps award, you can complete your request online through your AmeriCorps account.

Your student account will be credited for the amount you are eligible to receive. Any charges not covered by AmeriCorps must be paid by the student.

The University of Washington will invoice Third Party scholarship providers that have agreed to pay all or a portion of a student’s tuition, fees, or other charges.

If classes are added after the first day of the quarter, which increase your tuition balance, please email to inform Student Fiscal Services of this change. We will then send an additional invoice to your scholarship provider.

You must turn in a government agency purchase order, field order, contract, or employer sponsorship letter to Student Fiscal Services at the beginning of each quarter. Once this is received, your account will be credited and SFS will bill your scholarship provider. It will be your responsibility to pay any charges not covered by your scholarship provider or if we do not receive payment on your behalf.

If you are registered only for UW PCE classes, scholarship funds cannot be released to pay your tuition or to print you a check. Contact UW PCE for payment instructions.

All scholarships are processed through the Seattle campus and will be applied to your account in the same way regardless of which campus you attend. Please submit any necessary paperwork to the Seattle campus.

Please contact Student Fiscal Services to have a refund sent to your scholarship provider. You will need a contact name and current address for your scholarship provider in order to ensure accurate refunds.
If scholarship providers wish to have excess funds returned to them, they will need to collect the money directly from you.
Note: University of Washington does not forward any scholarship funds to other institutions. We will return your scholarship to your donor and they can re-issue the check to your school.

Short-Term Loans

There is a $30 fee for borrowing the loan. If the student chooses to utilize the one-time due date extension, an additional $30 fee will be assessed. There may be additional fees if the loan is not paid on time.
STL due dates are always the fourth Friday of the quarter following the quarter in which you borrowed the funds. For example, an STL borrowed in Autumn quarter will be due the fourth Friday of Winter quarter. STLs are always due in full by the due date.
Powered by Drupal