Private Scholarships

You must be registered for classes for the current quarter before any funds can be released to your account. Any funds in excess of account charges may be released to you, unless sponsors wish to have excess funds returned to them, we will return it directly to them. If you are not registered for the current quarter, the funds may be applied to a future quarter.

Funds will always be applied to your account according to the sponsor’s wishes. However, if no instructions are provided by the sponsor, all checks for $2,000 or more will be split over the remaining quarters in the academic year. Checks for less than $2,000 will be applied to the current quarter. **Note: If you are a Financial Aid recipient, please notify the Office of Financial Aid of any scholarships you are receiving as additional funds could impact your financial aid package. You can e mail them at or call them at 206-543-6101.  

If you will not be attending the University of Washington, the sponsor may request a refund from Student Fiscal Services.

If you are registered only for Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) classes, scholarship funds cannot be released to pay your tuition or to print you a check. Check with PCE for payment instructions.

Note: The University Bookstore is not part of the University of Washington and charges for books are not included in University charges.

ACH/Wire Payments

If would like to pay by wire transfer please contact to obtain the banking information. Please ensure that you include the UW student’s full name, student number, and invoice (if applicable) in the wire. For International students and sponsors, we recommend FlyWire or Convera as a more reliable method to make your payment. Use the icon at the bottom of our Tuition Payment page to initiate payment.

Scholarship Checks

If your sponsor is paying by check, the check must be made payable to the University of Washington. The check must be drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. dollars.

If the sponsor requires that the check be made payable to both you and the University of Washington, the sponsor should mail the check directly to you for endorsement. After endorsing the check, mail or bring the check to the Student Fiscal Services Office.

Scholarship checks should be mailed to:

University of Washington - Scholarships
PO Box 24967
Seattle, WA 98124-0967

Please have the sponsor include the following information with the check:

  • Student name
  • UW student number or social security number
  • Quarter or academic year that the payment covers
  • Sponsor’s full address, including fax and email address if available


Phone: 206-543-4694
Fax: 206-685-2942

Powered by Drupal