Form 1631 - Honoraria Checklist for Invited Guest Speakers - Use this form to determine whether you should pay an Invited Speaker as an employee or as an independent contractor.

Form 1632 -Employee versus Independent Contractor (Excluding Visiting Lecturers) Form 1632 - Use this form to determine whether you should pay an individual as an employee or as an Independent Contractor.

Form W-9 - Use this form when requested to certify the University's tax identification number. Each department should sign the form and if you expect a check to be sent please change the address to the address where the check should be sent.

Forms Needed to Process Payments to International Travelers - These are the forms that you will need to complete to get an individual paid. 

City of Seattle Business License - The Seattle business license allows the UW to conduct business in the city.

IRS Publications

Publication 17 - Your Federal Income Tax

Publication 519 - US Tax Guide for Aliens

Publication 54 - Tax Guide for US Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

Publication 598 - Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt Organizations

Publication 526 - Charitable Contributions  - For additional information on giving to the University of Washington click here.

Other Tax Links

Revised Code of Washington (RCW) - Current laws of Washington State. Relevant tax sections are primarily in Title 82 RCW.

Washington Administrative Code (WAC) - Detailed interpretation of the current laws of Washington State. Relevant tax sections are primarily in Title 458 WAC. 

CampusTraining Slides

Employee or Independent Contractor? Information about how to determine whether a worker is an employee or an independent contractor.

Washington State Sales and Use Tax - General overview of the state sales tax .

Advanced Sales Tax - advanced sales tax topics.