The National Institutes of Health (“NIH”) is offering a childcare allowance (NRSA Childcare Allowance) to UW recipients (graduate students and postdoctoral scholars) of NIH National Research Service Award (“NRSA”) individual fellowships (F30, F31, F32, and F33) and institutional training grants (T32, TL1, TU2, and T90).
Based on review by UW central administration, it has been determined that this allowance:
- Is available in addition to UW’s Childcare Assistance Program
- Must be treated as taxable income
- Must be paid on a cost-reimbursable basis up to a maximum of $2,500 per budget period per NRSA fellow/trainee
- Is available per NIH fellow/trainee (not per child)
- Must be charged to a fellowship or training grant award sub budget to ensure that funds are not co-mingled or used for expenses other than this childcare allowance
- Must be excluded from F&A
Note: NIH fellowship and training grants awards are issued by budget period. A budget period is defined by the NIH fellowship or training grant award, not by the calendar or UW fiscal year.
It is the responsibility of the department to validate eligibility requirements and to ensure payment of the allowance is supported by sufficient documentation. Please see the GCA website for an overview of the NIH childcare allowance process and documentation requirements.