Click on a question below to view the answer. Limit the results by entering a search term.

Supplier Registration

The supplier would need to send an email to the Procurement Services Vendor Control team at: and indicate that their address or other company information has changed and provide the updated information in the email. The supplier should include an official company notification or an invoice copy showing the current Tax ID Number (EIN) or new Remit-To information. If changes impact IRS tax reporting, the supplier may be requested to submit a new Supplier Registration form (SRF) for further review.

In general, the person or group placing the order with the supplier (those who have contact with the supplier) should request the completion of the Supplier Registration Form. For example, if Purchasing is placing your order with the supplier, they will contact the supplier to get the supplier registration information. On the other hand, if the department is placing an order with the supplier directly, we request that they contact the supplier and direct them to the Supplier Registration Form page, keeping in mind that onboarding a new supplier can have a 2-5 week lead time.

Yes. The supplier registration form is required to set up a vendor/supplier in the university vendor file. The information is required to assist 1099 tax reporting and to meet various state and federal reporting requirements.

A requisition / purchase order cannot be completely processed and the vendor paid unless the selected supplier is currently active in the UW Vendor database. Specific information about each supplier is required for IRS, other tax purposes, various certifications, etc. This information is entered into PAS as part of the supplier profile and assures that timely, accurate payments are made and that the University is able to fulfill certain reporting requirements.

Use the Supplier Search report (B.I. Portal) . If your results show a supplier Name and Number, then your supplier has registered to do business with the University.

If the supplier is listed as Active, they are ready for use. 

If you search for the supplier and do not get any results, then most likely the supplier is not registered. If you are searching by name, be sure to try using less search words/terms to see if your search was too restrictive.

Suppliers can register through the Supplier Registration Form (SuRF). If a supplier checks that Yes, they do accept credit card payments, they will be contacted by Procurement Services to sign them up for the ePayables payment card. For more information, see the ePayables web site. If the supplier checks that No, they do not accept credit card payments, they will be directed to other electronic payment methods.


Gene synthesis or analysis service usually involves primarily human effort and therefore would be considered a professional service not a retail service subject to WA State sales/use tax.

Under RCW 84.36.050, the UW, which includes UWMC, is exempt from property tax on real or personal property owned or used by the University in this state if used for educational purposes. Therefore, we do not have or need an exemption certificate.

However, if we are leasing, there may be a different set of rules, which depends on the type of lease. Please refer to the lease agreement between the University and supplier.

*Note: Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is not considered a UW entity for these purposes.

Yes, you can pay an honorarium for this type of presentation.

You will need to complete the UoW 1631 form and the UoW 1570 Check Request form. Please make sure that you note on the 1570 that the "services were performed outside of the US." This is done so taxes are not withheld on the honorarium payment and will also prevent Procurment Services from needing additional documents for processing.

Yes, only the equipment will be tax exempt. Maintenance service agreements are still taxable. See taxability grid on the Tax Office webpage at 

The University is not a tax exempt institution. The University of Washington must pay sales tax on most merchandise purchased for operations of the University.

For more tax information please see the Tax Office webpage. Under "Departments" please review the various areas, including:

WA State Sales Tax
Exemption for Other States
Federal Taxes
International Taxes
Miscellaneous Taxes

If you purchase an item normally classified as food but use it for another purpose, it is still treated as food and therefore, not taxable.

Example 1: A department purchases vinegar but uses it for cleaning. The vinegar is not taxable. 

Example 2: A department purchases pumpkins in fall and has students decorate them for display in the office. The pumpkins are still considered food and are not taxable.

What are examples of items which do not apply to this rule? Items sold for medical or hygiene purposes, alcohol, tobacco, candy, bottled water, soft drinks, and prepared foods. 

See:, #2b.


UW Terms and Conditions

In general, invoices will be processed for payment Net 30 days from the date a properly completed invoice with a valid purchase order number is received in UW Accounts Payable.

Invoices will not be processed for payment until all items invoiced have been received.

Please also see our General Terms and Conditions.

According to the UW General Terms & Conditions (section 28), payment is not considered late if a check, warrant, or electronic transmittal notice has been mailed or issued within the time specified by the contract, or if no terms are specified, within 30 days from the date of receipt of a properly completed invoice, or goods, whichever is later.

Any late payment charges accrued on an invoice will be charged to the budget number listed on the purchase order, and subject to buyer review.