Working at a Foreign Location for an Extended Period of Time

UW employees who expect to work abroad for an extended period are advised to research potential health and security risks posed at the foreign site prior to departure. These risks can include:

  • Unsafe food and/or water conditions

  • Local means of transportation (e.g., taxis) to not use

  • Roads or regional routes that may have a high security risk

  • Particular areas of major cities to avoid

Employees who expect to work and stay in a foreign-based hotel for an extended period of time are advised to carefully evaluate accommodations.

Health, Safety and Security

All UW students, faculty and staff traveling outside the U.S. should think ahead about health, safety and security. UW Global Travelers outlines health, safety and security resources and requirements for all UW student and employee travelers.

Covered Benefits for UW Employees

UW faculty, staff and qualified student employees are covered by university emergency travel assistance while traveling abroad on university business. "Abroad" is defined as any location outside the U.S., its territories or possessions, or Puerto Rico. The emergency travel assistance plan does not provide health insurance abroad and acts as a supplement to your personal health insurance coverage. The plan provides assistance for medical, security, personal, travel and legal emergencies and is administered by CISI. For more information visit the Office of Global Affairs' webpage for employee emergency travel assistance.

Post-doctoral students who are paid on a stipend aren't eligible for university travel assistance benefits unless they are GAIP-eligible. For more information on GAIP (Graduate Appointee Insurance Program), see the site in Benefits & Work/Life, Graduate Appointee Insurance Program home page.

International Emergency Assistance

See the site, International Emergency Assistance, for help managing an international emergency for UW faculty, staff or students who are traveling abroad on university-related business.

Register Employees Who Work Abroad

It is important for insurance purposes that the Risk Services office have a complete list of employees who work on university business outside the U.S. Please use the UW EE Overseas Reporting Form to register with Risk Services. The form can be returned to  Attn: Insurance Manager at Box 354964 or e-mailed to Attn: Insurance Manager at