**To prepare for Financial Transformation, SFS cannot accept budget setup requests after 5/12/2023. Setups will resume after Workday launches and will utilize a new setup form that requires driver Worktags as required by the Workday system. Please ensure that any budgets you will be utilizing in SDB have been setup to have a driver Worktag. More information will be posted as it becomes available. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your partnership**
Departments may use certain budgets to authorize scholarships, fellowships, stipends, grants and prizes/awards to currently registered students. Depending on the terms of the budget, these payments may be paid directly to the student, or can be applied directly to the student account to pay allowable expenses such as tuition, student insurance or related fees. These payments are authorized by the department managing the budget, and are disbursed through the Student Database (SDB).
- Determine appropriate budgets to use, type of budget, and the allowable expenses the budget may pay
- Authorize or verify the budget set-up terms in SDB (Note: SFS has paused the budget setup process for UWFT cutover as of 5/12/23. Setups will resume after FT launches in July 2023.)
- Request Budget Access for department budgets on SDB, when needed
- Determine student award recipients (amount of award and correct academic quarter/s)
- Authorize department student awards online in the Student Database (SDB)
- Confirm that student awards posted are accurately disbursed to recipients
- Reconcile budgets regularly - dollar amount posted to correct student for authorized quarter/s
Authorizing Student Awards
Departments that wish to disburse funds to students from departmental budgets must have the budget set-up in SDB. Refer to the Departmental Scholarship User Guide for details.
Forms you may need to make your student awards:
|Request for SDB Budget Setup or Revisions||Award Cancellation Request||Request for Assistance|
|Form and Purpose|
|Set up budget allowances and restrictions in the Student Database (SDB)||Request cancellation of an award that has been disbursed (requires SFS adjustments)||Request troubleshooting assistance from SFS staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org|
|New Budgets||Required||As Needed||As Needed|
|Existing Budgets||Revisions only||As Needed||As Needed|
Awards and Prizes
Departments may give students awards or prizes to recognize their academic accomplishments. These may be posted into the SDB using the same procedures as for departmental scholarship awards (see Departmental Scholarship User Guide for details). As these payments are taxable for nonresident alien students, please consult the Tax Office Forms and Policies or email email@example.com for more information.
- SDB 101 screencast - online learning module for basic SDB screens
- Departmental Scholarship User Guides
- SDB 101 User Guide
- If, after consulting the User Guide, you still have questions or problems, request assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org for troubleshooting help.
Other information resources:
Questions about grant or gift budget setup – contact your department’s Principal Investigator or the Grant & Contract Team for your budget or use Grant Tracker
Questions about budgets used for TA/RA appointments, contact the Graduate School
- Chart of Budget Contacts
Tuition Processing Responsibilities
Student Fiscal Services
Grant and Contract Accounting
Nonresident Differential (NRD)
The Fellowship and Assistantship Division of the Graduate School authorizes and processes the nonresident differential (NRD) waivers for eligible fellows and trainees. If a student has a qualified stipend appointment in the OPUS system, the Student Data Base system will post the NRD waiver automatically on the student’s account.