Travel can be booked however you deem fit, through a travel agency, directly with an airline, or an online agency of your choice. Effective 06/07/12 Airfare no longer must be purchased through a contract travel agency or directly with the airline. The contract is available for use as a convenience:
- refundable and no advance purchase, minimum stay or penalties; Learn more
- review list of Alaska contract airfares (effective July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2019)
- review list of SouthWest contract airfares ( effective Oct 1, 2013 - September 30, 2019)
- provide "YCAWA" as fare basis code during purchase
- may only use a UW individual travel card or CTA to purchase contract airfare
- can not purchase contract airfare using personal credit card
- listed by "city pair" and specific contract airline for one-way flight to either direction
- domestic fares includes all applicable federal, state and local taxes; does not include passenger facility charges, segment fees and September 11th security fee
*Note: Can only book contract fare by calling Alaska Airlines directly or by using a contracted travel agent.
Airfare can be paid for using a personal credit card, cash, CTA, or the individual travel card. All but the CTA are reimbursed through eTravel. Effective 06/07/12 airfare nolonger must be purchased using individual travel card or CTA; except for contract fares:
Review guidelines when combining personal time/travel with UW business trip.
- No timely flights
No contract fare
Airfare expenses procured with any rewards program, such as mileage, my wallet, or credits, are not reimbursable.
See RCW 42.52.160.
Requires justification and prior written approval from a Vice President, Vice Provost, or Dean (Director or Chancellor for Bothell and Tacoma campus) authority cannot be delegated. Approval must acknoledge the justification. Attach to expense report (ER) in ARIBA. Do not send to Travel Office.
- a single annual approval updated yearly is acceptable for frequent travel (must attach to ER each time).
- letter/memo must list reason for approval and include signature
- list specific business reason or medical
- email is acceptable for one time approval
- approval must be included with the reimbursement
- extra/additional fees are not reimbursable
- coach upgrades and seat fees require justification and approval from an administrator
Business class fare OR a foreign layover directly en route or at the final destination for brief rest period (not to exceed 24 hours) may be authorized, provided all the following conditions have been met:
- NOT ALLOWED ON FEDERAL FUNDS
- have prior travel approval from an authorized person, can be on the out-of-state travel approval
- origin or destination is outside the continental United States
- one-way(each leg, from origin to destination one way) flight time including layover is in excess of 14 hours
- documentation is required indicating flight time
- used all UW frequent flyer miles (if available) to upgrade
- To ensure expenses are properly accounted for, documentation must comply with the IRS Accountable Plan
- If itemized receipts are obtainable and compliant with IRS Accountable Plan, reimburse expenses as usual on their appropriate line items
- If receipts are not itemized and not compliant with the IRS Accountable Plan, use the 'Package Deal' line item in Ariba and follow the built in tax instruction
- For UW employees, email firstname.lastname@example.org with employee name, employee ID #, payment description and package deal amount. Please attach proof to the expense report.
- For non-UW Individuals, due to tax reporting requirements, non-UW employees are to be paid honoraria through the P2I (payment to individual) process
**All resources should be exhausted to acquire IRS Accountable Plan compliant receipts. The package deal line item should be used as a last resort when those resources have been exhausted.