- Receipts are required for all individual expenses over $75.00.
- The $75.00 is a waiver approved by The WA State Office of Financial Management - source document
- Waiver is issued on a biennium basis
- Utilizing the waiver requires departments to incorporate it into their internal policies
- Check with your department to assure they have accepted this waiver
- An itemized list of what was purchased, pricing information and business purpose must still be kept on file as supporting documentation
- Receipts must be itemized to clearly show all pertinent information and proof of payment.
- The following expenses require receipt regardless of cost:
- airfare (itemized itinerary with proof of payment)
- lodging (itemized if not prepaid)
- any fees related to change/cancellation of travel plans
- car rental (final rental agreement)
- rail/train (itemized itinerary with proof of payment)
- immunization (itemized receipt & administrator/CDC approval)
- For Post Award Fiscal Compliance, see Purchasing Documentation Guidelines for additional receipt information
- Be sure to clearly label and identify all attachments.
- Avoid special characters when naming attachments. Ariba prevents the ability to download attachments with special characters, such as the + sign.
- Departments have the authority to implement a stricter receipt policy. Be sure to check with your department regarding internal policies.
- If check is proof of payment, provide copy of front and back showing cancellation by the bank
Foreign Currency Conversion
Expenses in a foreign currency must be converted and entered in eTravel as U.S. dollars.
- credit card statement
- exchange rate on receipt
- currency quote, attach proof and use the date of payment or first/last day of travel
- Review ARIBA Scanning Policy from UW Records Management Services for guidance regarding the use of ARIBA as the system of record.
- Scanners must be set at a minimum of 300 dpi.
- Scanned records must be saved as PDF files.
- JPEG is not an acceptable alternative to saving documents as PDF files.
- To get started on a scanning policy, a consultation is recommended by emailing UW Records Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Documentation must be kept on file if department has not designated ARIBA as the system of record.
- Department is responsible for retention of course catalog/conference brochures. It is not required to be attached to the expense report, but recommended.