- General Fund Budget
- Head of organizational unit in which the budget is assigned or head's authorized designee*.
- Grant or Contract Budget
- Principal investigator or departmental chair in which the grant or contract was awarded to, or an authorized designee*.
- When claimant is the 'authorized person' approval must come from their superior or superior's authorized designee*.
- *Authorized designee must be traveler's supervisor or higher.
- Required for out of state travel defined as travel to a location outside the state of Washington, Oregon, or Idaho.
- For example travel from Seattle, WA to Porland, OR does not require pre-trip approval.
- Approval must come from an 'authorized person' defined above.
- When lodging expense is over the allowable per diem, it is to be included in the approval. See exceptions to per diem.
- Must be attached to the expense report or kept on file with the department.
- Can be provided on a trip by trip basis [sample]
- Can be provided as a blanket for one calendar year [sample].
- Blanket approvals must be renewed annually
- Blanket must include:
- Type of individuals (faculty/administrator, etc.) specific names are not required
- Statement that travel is consistent with requirements of job responsibilities
- Statement that appropriateness of reimbursable charges will be determined by an authorized person
- Specific trips included in funding proposal for sponsored research (grant/contract funding) do not require prior approval if travel is clearly defined in the documentation.
- Visitor's (non-UW) letter of invitation may fulfill the prior approval requirement.
- Approval must include justification and be attached to the expense report
- Email is acceptable for trip by trip basis approval
- Approval can be a blanket good for one calendar year
- See blanket requirements in pre-trip approval section above
- For medical accomodations, see recommended ADA guidance
Requires justification and prior written approval from a Vice President, Vice Provost, or Dean (Director or Chancellor for Bothell and Tacoma campus) authority cannot be delegated
Restrictions apply on federally sponsored awards, see travel on federal funds
- Requires justification and prior written approval from a Vice President, Vice Provost, or Dean (Director or Chancellor for Bothell and Tacoma campus) authority cannot be delegated
- Restrictions apply on federally sponsored awards, see travel on federal funds
- For international travel in excess of 14 hours, see the 14 hour rule
Coach Upgrade/Main Cabin Upgrade/Seat Fees
Requires justification and prior written approval from an administrator or higher.