Types of Travelers

Who must comply? 
Foreign National
Prospective Employees

Who Must Comply with Policy? 

  • ALL traveler types being reimbursed on University of Washington funding
    • Ex: UW employees, UW students, non-UW, faculty/staff candidates, volunteers, etc.
  • Contractors (consultants), unless there are specific contractual arrangements modifying travel reimbursement

**See Policy Accountability page for more information

Foreign National

Foreign Nationals are travelers on UW business who are not a citizen of the United States


**Required for non-UW when the traveler is entering or leaving the United States

  • All visa types besides Canadian citizen require a copy of the traveler's electronic I-94 (this can be obtained for the traveler using their passport information)
  • All visa types require a copy of the traveler's identity page from their passport
  • Canadian citizen can attach an enhanced driver's license, trusted traveler card (NEXUS, FAST, SENTRI) or traveler's driver's license and social insurance card in lieu of identity page from passport

**This documentation must be attached to DocuSign for Travel review. Docusign


  • B2/WT visa types are limited to 9 days of reimbursement every 6 months

Prospective Employees

  • Travel expense reimbursement for prospective employees is limited to applicants being considered for faculty, professional staff, and classified staff in a supervisory role
  • Travel expenses for classified staff may be reimbursed when the position is essential to carrying out critical work of the department and approval/justification is attached to the miscellaneous payment from an 'authorized person

Expenses are considered relocation once the prospective employee is hired and the individual is in the process of their final move. 

Given the recruiting nature of prospective employee travel, there may be instances where family expenses may be allowable when normally non-reimbursable. The following comparison may be used as guidance by the department in assisting with making the determination: 

Expenses are more likely to not be allowable when: 

  • No formal request for family member to attend event(s)
  • Family members are not required to attend meetings, given advanced assignments, or make presentations at the event(s)
  • Family member performs only "helpful" services, such as limited note taking, secretarial services, etc. 
  • Only UW employees and family members attend event(s). 
  • Family members participate in substantial tourist activities (shopping, sightseeing, etc.)
  • Children or other family members make trip

Expenses are more likely to be allowable when: 

  • Formal or official correspondence requests spouse or other family members of prospective UW employees make trip or attend event(s)
  • Spouses are required to attend meetings, given advanced assignment, or make presentations at the event(s)
  • Family member performs "necessary' services by acting as a representative of the University in a substantial manner
  • Non-UW individuals (donors, alumni, recruits, etc.) attend event(s)
  • Family members do not participate in tourist activities
  • Children or other family members do not make trip 

**Note that house hunting or other tourist like activities personal in nature involving the prospect or family would not be considered an allowable expense. 


  • Travel reimbursement during a sabbatical requires written approval from Chair/Director or Dean/Chancellor
  • Attach letter of approval to the expense report in Workday
  • See Sabbatical Leave from the Office of Academic Personnel for additional info


  • Travel reimbursement for consultant is to be reimbursed through the Workday Miscellaneous Payment module. Contact Procurement Customer Service for additional guidance.