If you are requesting a NEW sub budget on a grant or contract award, please use the “Add New Sub Budget” link in the top left of the parent budget’s GrantTracker budget information page. Otherwise, continue to download the Excel form below (including for new budgets on gift or endowment budgets).
The following policy statements are intended to clarify and to develop consistency in establishing and administering parent and sub-budgets.
- To establish, supplement and/or extend a sub-budget, a Transactions/Parent/Sub (TRANSPASU) form must be completed, or the NEA to establish the parent must indicate that a sub budget is to be set up. (Instructions, TRANSPASU form.)
- The sub-budget is subject to the same compliance, reporting and administration as the parent budget, unless a separate policy statement is attached.
- Sub-budgets are subject to Grants Information Memorandum GIM 2 and must be funded so as not to incur a deficit. If a deficit occurs, the Principal Investigator (PI) is responsible for providing funding in accordance with GIM 2, unless the parent has indicated "fiscal responsibility" on the TRANSPASU form.
- The sub-budgets begin date cannot be earlier than the begin date on the parent budget and the sub-budgets end date cannot be later than the end date on the parent budget. At the time a sub-budget expires, the PI will be sent a standard closing letter. Expired accounts are closed approximately 60 days after expiration, unless an extension request is received from the parent budget department.
- Funding can only be transferred from budgets designated as parents (i.e. funds cannot be transferred between sub-budgets).
- The parent/sub-budget relationship is one-to-one. A sub-budget cannot be a sub-budget and a parent budget.
- If a parent budget is renewed, renewal sub-budgets may be established using a TRANSPASU form.
- Facilities & Administrative (F&A) costs earned must be recorded at the sub-budget level and will be credited to the sub-budget organization code for Facilities & Administrative (F&A) Cost Recovery return. Special distribution of the Facilities & Administrative (F&A) Cost Recovery must be arranged through the Budget Office.
- It is not possible to provide multiple mailing of BAR/BSR reports or to arrange special inquiry access to OFIS and MIS. Only one mailing address for each budget is allowed. The parent department identified for the sub-budget will have total management responsibility for the sub-budgets.
- The department administering the parent account is responsible for ensuring that: 1) the amounts budgeted in the parent and sub-budgets equal the total award, and 2) budget restrictions are adhered to on a consolidated basis.
- Sub-budgets can be established in an advance status by GC-1 Addendum through Office of Sponsored Programs or by TRANSPASU or memo (special instructions on information required in the memo are available in Setting Up Advance Sub-Budgets).
- Sub-budgets funded by a parent account classified as a gift account cannot receive direct gift deposits. All funding must be transferred from the parent.
- Amounts transferred to sub-budgets cannot exceed the amount shown in each object code on the parent budget.
- The TRANSPASU cannot be used for rebudgeting. Requests for rebudgeting that do not require sponsor prior approval must be requested in a memo or email to Grant & Contract Accounting. Requests for rebudgeting requiring sponsor prior approval should be directed to the sponsor after obtaining concurrence from Office of Sponsored Programs.
- If possible, complete transpas two weeks ahead of requested processing date. It may be helpful to include a spreadsheet summarizing the transactions along with the TRANSPASU when the transfer involves several sub-budgets.
- Faculty members with funds restricted within a grant for a specific purpose (e.g. a supplement given to be used only for salaries and supplies of a specified individual or group of individuals) are encouraged to establish a sub budget. To that sub budget, they are encouraged to transfer the restricted funding and post only related expenditures. This will improve tracking and subsequent reporting to the sponsor.