Please DO NOT drop off checks in person. Instead, mail sponsor payment check deposits to:
University of Washington
Grant & Contract Accounting
12455 Collections Drive
Chicago, IL 60693-0001
Be sure to write the budget number near the memo line of the check and forward all supporting documentation to email@example.com.
Please ensure that your check is made payable to "University of Washington," and send payments via standard postal mail only. (The lockbox facility is not set up to receive documents from other delivery services, and such payments may be delayed or lost.)
Internal Controls (Usual Process)
- Two people should open the mail.
- Record all checks (link opens in new tab) in a check log at the time of receipt.
- If checks cannot be immediately sent to a central office, lock checks in a safe place, such as a lock box or safe.
- Send checks to central offices daily if possible, or at least weekly at a minimum.
- Reconcile check log entries to Budget Activity Reports (BARs) on a timely basis. Investigate and resolve differences between the check log and the BAR.
- Maintain segregation of duties (link opens in new tab): assign a minimum of two personnel to handle cash and checks.
Delivery to Central Offices
Checks in Payment of Invoices Prepared by GCA
Follow instructions at top of page to mail check to the Chicago lockbox address above.
Checks in Payment of New Awards/Supplements to Existing Awards
Send the original check to GCA at the address above. Send a copy of the check and a cover memo to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP), preferably as a PDF in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checks Received as Refunds
In general, checks received as refunds from a vendor or subcontractor should be deposited via direct deposit using the Cash Transmittal process. The Banking & Accounting Operations (BAO) website has more information on preparing deposits (link opens in new tab).
If the vendor or subcontractor refund is for a grant, contract or gift, please write the following information on the payment advice:
- UW budget number receiving the refund
- Object code of the original expense (e.g. 03-62 for subcontractor refunds, 05-45 for computer software, etc.)
Make a scan of the check and all accompanying documentation and email it to email@example.com. Then mail the check to the Chicago address listed above.
Checks Received for Established Program Income Budgets
Send the check to GCA at the address above.
Checks Received as Gift/Discretionary Donations
These checks should be sent to Gift Services, Box 359505, 98195-9505, along with any documentation that arrived with the check and the envelope in which the check arrived. Gifts submitted for processing must be accompanied by a Gift Transmittal Form (link opens in new tab). See the Gift Services Guidelines (link opens in new tab) for additional details, and for information on processing cash donations.
If You're Not Sure...
If you are unsure of the appropriate disposition of a check but have information that it might relate to a grant or contract, please contact GCA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have information that a check might relate to a gift account, please contact Gift Services (link opens in new tab) or refer to the instructions that accompany the Gift Transmittal Form (link opens in new tab).
- Banking & Accounting Operations (BAO) Cash Handling Policy (link opens in new tab)
- Banking & Accounting Operations (BAO) Newsletters
- Gift Services Guidelines (link opens in new tab)
- Gift Transmittal Form (link opens in new tab)
- APS 31.1 Internal Controls to Minimize Risk Over Cash Receipts
- APS 36.2 Institutional Gift Assessment