• Click question to view answer.
  • Search all categories or a specific category selected from the list at right.


Please forward the request to gcahelp@uw.edu so that we can provide the information and sign off on any forms the sponsor requires.

Unfortunately GCA cannot accept credit card payments. Sponsors may pay by check (including cashier’s check) or wire/ACH.

By default charges to parent and sub-budget(s) are combined on a single invoice. However, if a sponsor requests separate invoicing for a sub-budget, please notify GCA via a Grant Tracker in the Invoicing topic, and we can accommodate their request.

Notify GCA by Grant Tracker in the Invoicing topic or by forwarding the sponsor’s email to gcahelp@uw.edu. We will follow up with them to locate the payment.

Note that GCA does not issue a final invoice until the Final Action Date has passed. Departments are required to ensure that all expenditures have posted by then, and if that is impossible to notify GCA of the pending charges on or before that date. However, if there are additional charges the department was unaware of at the Final Action Date and the sponsor provides written confirmation they will accept a revised final invoice, GCA will invoice the additional charges. Please submit a Pending Transactions Detail Form via Grant Tracker along with your sponsor confirmation to request a supplemental invoice.

When a sponsor discovers an unallowable expense, it is the department’s responsibility to transfer it off their budget as soon as possible. The transfer will result in a credit on the next invoice issued. Because of this, we discourage sponsors from short-paying invoices. Instead, we prefer to void the invoice with the unallowable charge and issue a replacement after the charge has been removed.

Journal Vouchers

What is a Journal Voucher (JV)?
JVs are forms used to process accounting entries. They are primarily used for fund transfers and corrections. Many central offices process JVs. To determine which office to contact about a JV, use the following link: http://finance.uw.edu/fr/journal-voucher

Journal Vouchers (JVs) are no longer paper-based and are submitted electronically in our financial system. If you require a copy of a JV, electronic copies are accessible via the Business Intelligence Portal (B.I. Portal) under the Journal Voucher Detail report.

If you have questions about your Journal Voucher please keep in mind that many offices process JVs (not just GCA). GCA does process the following JVs on a regular basis: Indirect Cost Adjustments, Subcontract IDC Adjustments, Deficit Transfers, and IRB fees.

To determine which department to contact with JV questions, use the chart found on the Financial Reporting Journal Voucher webpage, or use the Originating Area Code found in the Transaction Detail to find out who processed it.



Try these steps:

  • Adjust speaker volume on your computer.   
  • Make sure correct device is selected for audio on your computer. Sometimes, plugging in headphones may disable speakers, or vice versa.
  • Stuttering? double-check your internet connection. The most common cause of audio stuttering is being connected via Wi-Fi instead of directly connected to the internet with a cable.  
  • Try using another web browser to join. Google Chrome is recommended for remote MRAM attendance.

MRAM audio & video are  monitored  throughout the meeting for quality control.  If we are aware of an issue at the meeting source we will include a note in the online chat room.

While we welcome all feedback, we may not be able to accommodate individual attendee technical challenges.

Please email mramques@uw.edu with questions.

MRAM presentation materials & recordings are typically published on the MRAM Meetings webpage 2-5 business days after MRAM sessions occur.

Organization Codes

Organization codes are a representation of various functional areas across the University. The organization code is comprised of six levels (digits). Each level corresponds with a position level, or area, of responsibility. The more numbers there are to an organization code (e.g. all six fields have numbers as opposed to the first one or two fields), the more restrictive the level of viewing or access is. The Office of Planning and Budgeting is the department responsible for setting up and maintaining the University’s organization codes. Additional information for adding or changing organization codes can be found at: https://opb.washington.edu/content/unit-operating-budgetsorg-codes

To change an individual budget's org code, please send a Grant Tracker request under the Budget Setup topic. If you need to change the org codes for multiple budgets at once, please prepare a list or spreadsheet of the changes required and email it to gcahelp@uw.edu.


RRF budgets are granted through the University’s Office of Research, and are to be used in advancing research in new directions. The Office of Research approves all requests to close an RRF budget. They need to have received, for review, the PI’s final report, a final summary of expenditures, and a final BSR (Budget Status Report) for the RRF being closed. Once reviewed and approved, the Office of Research will send an email with official approval to close. This official email approval should be pasted into a Grant Tracker in the Closing topic.

More information about the Royalty Research Fund can be found here: https://www.washington.edu/research/or/royalty-research-fund-rrf/ 

Karen Luetjen, or Peter Wilsnack can be contacted for specific questions. Karen can be reached at: luetjen@uw.edu, or at 206.616.9089. Peter can be reached at: doogieh@uw.edu, or at 206.685.9316.


These are revenue transactions: For restricted fund budgets (grants, contracts & gifts) revenue is recognized as expenditures post. The full amount of an award or supplement is recorded upfront to revenue class 9799 (increase in fund balance), followed by the two-digit source code designating what agency gave us the award (i.e. 01 designates National Institute of Health). An award of $100,000 for an NIH award would show as a credit of ($100,000) to 9799-01.

Every restricted fund budget is assigned a revenue code which designates the awarding department (revenue class) and awarding agency within that department (revenue source). For NIH, the revenue code is 9313-01: revenue class of 313 (Department of Health and Human Services) and revenue source of 01 (National Institute of Health). NIH is an agency within DHHS.

As expenditures post to a restricted fund budget, revenue is posted to the revenue code assigned to that budget, and a corresponding debit is made to the fund balance. In the example above, $1 in expenditure would create revenue of ($1) to 9313-01 and a decrease in fund balance of $1 to 9799-01. If a restricted fund budget is entitled to Facilities & Administrative (F&A) cost then revenue is posted to the appropriate Facilities & Administrative (F&A) cost revenue budget (74-1781 for IC revenue from Washington State awards, 51-1734 for IC revenue from all other grants and contracts).

In the example above, if the IC rate was 50% then for the $1 of expenditure, revenue of ($.50) would post to 51-1734 using revenue code 9313-01. You would not see a corresponding debit to 9799-01 on the restricted fund budget. At the end of an award, if that award was fully expended and there was no Facilities & Administrative (F&A) cost (using our example or an NIH award of $100,000), 9313-01 would equal ($100,000) and 9799-01 would be $0.

If, in our example, the award was fully expended with direct expenditures of $66,667 and Facilities & Administrative (F&A) cost of $33,333, then 9313-01 would equal ($66,667) and 9799-01 would equal ($33,333). The Revenue Class 9788 designates beginning fund balance. At the close of a biennium, the balance (revenue minus expenditures) on a restricted fund budget is carried forward to the new biennium as 9788 plus the revenue source. For NIH awards this would be 9788-01.

Above all, do NOT deposit the payment as revenue to a grant, contract, or gift budget. This will throw the award and revenue amounts out of balance and lead to complications at closeout. Instead, refunds to these budgets should be processed as reverse expenditures to the same object/sub-object code as the initial charge. See instructions for reverse expenditure processing here.

Spending Money

For all questions about allowability, please consult the Post Award Fiscal Compliance page. They have web pages dedicated to specific cost items, including food, travel, mobile devices, and many others. You can contact them at gcafco@uw.edu with specific questions.

Multiple reasons could exist for why portions of an award budget would be restricted. Common ones include a restriction on spending later years of a multi-year project until the sponsor issues payment, carryforward that cannot be released for spending without sponsor approval, or a delay in human subjects protocol approval. If you are uncertain what restrictions apply to your particular budget, please contact GCA via Grant Tracker under the Budget Setup topic.

Please work with Procurement Services to issue payments from your grant or contract budget.


Generally, the subcontract amount subject to UW F&A costs is based on the business rules of the Funding Action. If, for example, the cost base type for your funding action is Modified Total Direct Costs (MTDC), then your subcontract is subject to F&A on the first $25,000 at the same rate as the primary award. If the cost base type for your funding action is Total Direct Cost (TDC), then all of the subcontract is subject to UW F&A at the same rate as the primary award. You can always use Grant Tracker or review the Funding Action associated with your award for more information about the F&A charges to your subcontract(s). If you still have questions after you review the Funding Action, contact the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) at osp@uw.edu for assistance.

Applying indirect costs related to subcontracts is a manual process. At the end of each calendar quarter, GCA performs a Budget Subcontract (BSC) F&A reconciliation to determine if an adjustment is needed to the indirect cost for each subcontract.

Subcontract F&A encumbrances are set up by GCA when we first reconcile F&A. The subcontract F&A encumbrance amount is equal to the projected F&A costs to be charged on the subcontract(s). As subcontract F&A is charged to the budget, we manually reduce the subcontract F&A encumbrance until the subcontract F&A threshold is reached.

If you have an urgent need for an immediate adjustment (e.g. an adjustment was missed, the budget is about to close, or you need current expenditure totals for a no-cost extension or carryover request), or if you believe the subcontract F&A encumbrance is incorrect, please contact GCA via Grant Tracker using the Indirect Costs topic.

Training Grants

Changing a Trainee’s salary could require a Change Job action in Workday.  

Information on how to change a job and step by step instructions are available on the ISC website User Guides section.   https://isc.uw.edu/user-guides/ 

  • Terminate the current position and compensation in Workday.

  • Enter the new position and compensation package. (see User Guides)

  • Workday should update the pay rate type automatically based on the job profile.

  • Assign Organizations.

  • If the budget has expired, please send a Grant Tracker request to keep the budget in status 1 to allow the correction to post.

Things to Keep in Mind

  • If the trainee was paid under Earn Type REG but should be paid under Earn Type TRN, this means that the trainee may have overpaid Social Security, Medicare and Retirement and may be receiving a refund.

  • If the employee was paid under Earn Type TRN and should be paid under Earn Type REG, this means that the employee may owe Social Security and Medicare taxes and if eligible for retirement, may opt to have this deducted as well.

  • If the correction impacts a previous tax year, Payroll may need to issue a W2C (W2 correction).  Contact pr-tax@uw.edu for W-2C questions.

The ISC HCM Partner can provide assistance with the job change.  Contact ischelp@uw.edu or call 206-543-8000.

No. GCA receives a notification from xTrain every time a Termination Notice is routed to the Business Office.

If the final payroll and/or salary transactions have been processed, posted to the budget and it's been over two weeks, please contact GCA via gcahelp@uw.edu or via Grant Tracker.

Questions about Termination Notices should be directed to GCA via gcahelp@uw.edu or Grant Tracker.