The retention for email is based on the content of each individual email.
Emails that simply request or provide information are transitory and can be deleted as soon as a reply is given or received. Examples of transitory emails include emails that:
- Answer directional questions such as:
- "How do I apply for this program?"
- "What are your office hours?"
- "When is the test?"
- Or provide generic information:
- Explaining/clarifying a variety of general university policies (ex. S/NS vs. annual drop, low scholarship and satisfactory progress)
- Events (on-campus, off-campus)
- Grading policy
- Major/minor—/eligibility/number of credits necessary
- Opportunities (ex. jobs, internships, scholarships)
- Redirection to another office (the cc question)
- Registration when/how/where/eligibility/reminders
- Transfer students
- Or contain information or links from a source such as a website, database, or content management system.
Official Copy: Any Advisory Office
Retention: End of academic year
Disposition Method: Shred or Delete