Records Management Services provides free storage of inactive records to eligible University departments on all three campuses. The University Records Center will stop accepting new records for storage in February 2022. If your office will have paper records which will need storage after February 2022, we would like to discuss it with you. Please contact Barbara Benson at email@example.com.
At any time, departments may request access to the boxes and files which they have stored at the University Records Center.
Departments are responsible for accurately identifying and communicating the contents of the boxes they submit for storage and authorizing the disposition of these records when they meet retention. Upon disposition, Records Management Services absorbs shredding/recycling costs and coordinates the transfer of any archival records to the University Archives.
|Submit a Storage Request||>||All About THE BOX||>|
|Storage Requirements||>||Storage Request Form Tips||>|
- Ensure you have followed the storage requirements and have labeled the box correctly
- Download the storage request form (XLSX)
- Input the storage request - include the name of your department's Records Coordinator
- Save in the Excel format - we cannot accept the form in PDF!
- E-mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your department's name in the subject line. Please allow 10 business days for our staff to process your storage request.
An example of a properly labeled box
- Records must be packed in a standard bankers box (10" x 12" x 15")
- The lid must fit securely - no hanging files
- The short side of the box must be labeled in permanent marker with:
- Box Number (usually sequential 1, 2, 3, etc)
- Department/Office Name
- Record Series (type of record) or additional information which your department needs to identify the box contents
- Please only write on one side of the box - this allows the boxes to be used more than once
- Do not write on the lid - lids are (typically) removable and can get mistakenly swapped or replaced
- Do not attach labels, "Post-It Notes" or tape to the box
- Boxes must be at least half full
- Boxes must not be overpacked - the sides should not billow or bulge
- Boxes must not contain anything that will leak or reek
- Boxes must weigh no more than 30 pounds - if you can't pick it up, we can't pick it up
- If using a recycled box, do not write over the old information
- Mark out the old information with a permanent marker and write on the clean side of the box
- All records must correlate with a Record Series on the University General Records Retention Schedule and/or an up-to-date and approved Departmental Retention Schedule (if applicable)
- Boxes must not contain scanned records
- Records must be packed and labeled appropriately as per the All About the Box section
- Records included must be inactive and have a firm cut-off date
- Records must have at least 6 months of retention remaining
- Pack records with significantly different retention periods and/or inclusive dates in separate boxes
- Boxes must not contain duplicates, drafts, database printouts, or other transitory records