As a state agency, the University of Washington is subject to laws regarding public records and transparency. Subsequently, the university, each of its offices, and each and every employee has the legal responsibility to demonstrate the proper care and management of its records. That means:
- Keeping the record for the appropriate amount of time (the retention period)
- Keeping it in such a way that it is not damaged or destroyed
- Keeping it in such a way that it can be found and viewed
- Being able to produce copies in the event of litigation, audit, or public records request
- Disposing of the records promptly, in an appropriate manner, once the retention period has expired
For more information, please see our Your Responsibility page.