- up to full size cars are allowable; cars larger than full-size and any other vehicle type requires a UW business reason for justification
- for types of insurance see chart.
purchase third party motor coverage (liability insurance) for all foreign locations.
IMPORTANT: all additional drivers must be on UW business or entire car rental is not reimbursable.
- if personal time is included be sure to prorate car rental ( will only reimburse for business days)
- GPS is reimbursable as of July 1st, 2014
- all additional drivers must be on UW business and listed on car rental agreement
- gas is reimbursable
- if car rented previously on other ER or by other source add comment
- Attach final car rental agreement/receipt with required details that show
- Name of driver/additional drivers
- Car class charged
- Dates of pick up and drop off
- Itemized charges
- Types of insurance accepted and declined, if available
- Proof of payment
Available to anyone conducting UW business, not available for personal travel. All additional drivers must be on UW business, or the entire car rental expense will not be reimbursable.
Review the Contract Benefits and Rates. Currently effective until October, 2019.
Make reservations directly with Enterprise.
Enter 45WA033 in the Promotion/Account Code field, and on the next page it should display "WAS UNIV OF WASHINGTON".
Make reservations directly with National.
Enter 45WA033 in the Contract ID field, and on the next page it should display "You are travelling on your WAS UNIV OF WASHINGTON contact".
Consider enrolling in the Emerald Club, which is recognized by both Enterprise and National. Allows the traveler to bypass the counter, choose their own car, return rentals faster, and receive eReceipts.
Vehicle class up to Full Size CAR is reimbursable. All other vehicle classes, including vans, trucks, SUVs, and cars in a higher class than full size, may only be reimbursed with a justification stating the business or safety need.
For the U.S., Puerto Rico, & District of Columbia, decline the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), and Liability Insurance (all three are included in the contract)
For all other locations, accept the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), and Liability Insurance (state contract does not include these for International locations)
Follow the directions above and decline all other types of insurance, as they are not reimbursable.
Concerns or questions regarding the state contract may be sent to Sandy Svoboda (425) 917-7559 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- offers rentals originating in the Seattle area for authorized drivers/passengers; a UW netID and UW budget number are required
- UCAR offers short term rentals; a UW netID and UW budget number are required
- Mileage is reimbursable at the applicable mileage rate, which includes the cost of gas and wear/tear.
|Per Mile||$0.580||$0.545||$ 0.535||$ 0.540||$ 0.575||$ 0.560||$ 0.565||$ 0.510||$ 0.510|
- Reimbursable route(s), including non-scheduled workdays:
- Home > Temporary duty station
- Duty station > Temporary duty station
- Temporary duty station > Home
- Temporary duty station > Duty station
- NOT reimbursable, any commute related expenses, including non-scheduled workdays:
- Home > Duty station
- Duty station > Home
- Parking at duty station
- Required documentation regardless of mileage total, options are:
- Google Map
- Attach Google Map to the expense report.
- Mileage log
- Attach mileage log with correlating odometer readings or Google Map documentation.
- Mileage from select location, see select mileage log
- Add comment to ER, "from UW travel selected mileage log".
- Note: Address may be hidden if subject to HIPAA, department is responsible for internal documentation.
- Google Map
- Round trip mileage reimbursement to/from the airport is allowable when a third party drives.
- ARIBA Procedure Note: If gas instead of mileage is to be reimbursed for the use of a private vehicle, mileage is to be documented and the gas amount must be equal to or less than the calculated mileage amount and entered in the Override Amount field. Reimburse on a mileage line item with the appropriate documentation.
Documentation no longer required on expense report (ER). Most economical means of travel is a requirement in the pre-trip approval process, travel approver is responsible in ensuring that personal preference(s) did not increase costs. In the event a transportation method other than airfare is selected due to personal preference, the basis for comparison is flying lowest cost logical coach fare directly to the business location.
- Business class for non-air common carriers can be approved two ways:
- Approval from Dean, Vice-Provost, Vice-President, or Chancellor
- Criteria from (a) and (b) must be met:
- Less than coach airfare, or is the only mode of travel available
- Necessary for business interaction, or to conduct UW business
- Any class higher than business class would be restricted to justification and approval from Dean, Vice-Provost, Vice-President, or Chancellor
- UCar through Fleet Services offers discounts to U-pass holders; membership fees are not reimbursable.
- Shuttle Express offers pickup and drop off at certain UW locations ( tips for transportation is reimbursable)
- Car2go is considered car rental and holds same requirements.
- car Service ( tips for transportation is reimbursable)
- Taxi, Cab, Town Car, Limo. Lyft, Uber, and Side Car should be listed on car service line item.
- train/rail (itinerary, 1st and business class approval required )
- Public Transportation (ex. Bus,Subway,Metro, Light Rail, BART)
- Time limited passes may be reimbursed
- If no personal time is implicated, the entire amount may be reimbursed as long as it is reasonable and de minimis.
- The time for which a pass is active during personal time is not reimbursable.
- Any additional costs beyond the personal and business days in the pass are to be paid by the traveler.
- Grey Hound and Bolt Bus should be placed on public transportation.
- Time limited passes may be reimbursed
- shuttles (including tips)
- ex. Shuttle Express, Super Shuttle
- motorcycle ($.505 / mile) * use other ground line item and be sure to show your work
- sky caps, porters, or cart rentals for equipment or luggage related to UW business.
- trailer or camper reimbursed at actual cost of space rental (as evidenced by a receipt) up to daily maximum lodging allowance; rental or lease of trailer or camper is not reimbursable
- bus charters
- bridge and ferry tolls (tolls associated with commute is personal responsibility and is not reimbursable).
- Tolls associated with University business may use the Procurement card to Pay by Mail or request reimbursement.
- Existing Good to Go pass customers may use a printout of their online statement as a receipt.
- New Good to Go pass is not reimbursable due to possibility for personal use.
- 405 Toll is not reimbursable
- contact Purchasing for charter aircraft (including fixed wing and helicopters)
- boat gas and moorage is reimbursable when commercial non-air carriers are not available or economical.
- piloted aircraft (rented or privately owned) must be authorized in advance by Washington State Department of Transportation Aeronautics Commission and Purchasing
- mileage is reimbursed at $1.15 / nautical mile based on NOAA Airways Charts
- approval must be attached to ER in Ariba