News! Starting 1/11/2024 Two Way Match Receiving for Service Line purchase orders is live!
For background information on the 2 Way Match System change, please see the Office Hours recordings from 2023.
The receiving functionality in Workday provides campus users with a mechanism to ensure that items and services on orders are received.
When you receive, you are approving an amount of money to be released for payment of invoices.
- Orders with goods line items will require receiving by the campus unit.
- This will include non-catalog orders with goods line items and some catalog orders. See job aid for list of catalog suppliers who will need receiving completed on their orders.
- Invoices will not pay until receiving is completed.
- Orders with Service Line Items will not require receiving.
- Invoices will pay automatically unless they encounter a match exception.
- Subcontract Invoices under grant funds will still route to Grant Managers or Principle Investigators for approval before paying.
- Invoices totaling over $100,000 will require Cost Center Manager approval.
Requisition Requesters within campus units.
When you receive for an order, it is important to understand that you are not paying a specific invoice. Rather, you are approving an amount of money to be released for payment of invoices for that order. Receiving will be required for most order types.
In UW Connect Finance Portal find:
- Job aid How to Receive in Workday
Security Role: Requisition Requester
Relevant Receiving Actions:
- Create Receipt: for creating a receipt
- Find Receipts: finding a receipt, including drafts
- Create Receipt Adjustment: to add an attachment to receipt after it has been created.
Consider adding these in your Shortcuts tab in Workday.
- "Invoice Match Exceptions R1166" (use to find invoices that need to be received)
- "R1525 Service Line Invoice in Match Exception" (this report will aid in identifying invoices within the backlog that will be paid under the 2 Way Match design change that took place on 1/11/24)
- "R1149 Find Supplier Invoice" (this report will aid in reviewing invoices prior to payment. As a best practice, we recommend running this report weekly to review new invoices)
Consider adding this report to your Shortcuts tab in Workday.
- This report displays invoices "In Progress" that have exceptions which includes "Supplier Invoice Processed Without Receipt Created"
- The report can be filtered by supplier, PO, or Cost Center. The data can also be exported into Excel to allow users to filter by Requester.
- When reviewing the invoices on the report, focus on important fields such as amount being charged and what line items are being charged.
Notification: Based on your security role, you may receive a notification in Workday prompting you to receive.
If you do not, Run the R1166 Report in Workday:
- Run the R1166 report in Workday
- Review each invoice as charged by the supplier
- If the invoice is incorrect or should not have been charged by the supplier, request to have the invoice rejected by AP. Fill out the Cancel Invoice Connect Form in the Finance Portal. Do not receive for an invoice that should not be paid. Once the invoice shows canceled in Workday, you can proceed with any other receiving needed for other open invoices.
- Receiving must be in order of "invoice created" date.
- If the invoice is payable, you can either: 1) use the Create Receipt task or 2) click on the purchase order number in the report. On the next screen, he Related Actions (three dots) next to the PO number should provide an option for "Receipt" and then "Create." This will only be visible to users with the Requisition Requester role.
Once a receipt is submitted you will find "Related Actions" available on the receipt:
These will not prevent an invoice from paying if the invoice is already in "approving" status.
- Create Receipt Adjustment
To add a packing slip after the receipt has been created.
Inspect, verify and sign for satisfactory delivery of goods or services
Receive only the amount for the line items invoiced
- Do not include header charges such as tax, handling, etc.
- If your unit retains packing slips, they can be scanned and attached to the receipt in at the time you receive in Workday. For more information on scanning and attaching, review the UW Scanning Requirements.
Before receiving, you should:
- Have a written receiving procedure in place for your department.
When receiving, you should:
- Receive only the amount for the line items invoiced – do not include header charges such as tax, handling, etc.
- If you see an invoice that should not be received, have it rejected first. Once it has been rejected, receive all remaining correct open invoices.