The University returns funds to individuals and companies for a variety of reasons; including overpayments, duplicate payments, payments received in error, cancellations and reimbursement to sponsors for the value of the meal. The form used to request a refund depends upon the type of budget being used.

Topics Covered

Refunds from revenue budgets

These are budgets which can accept revenue for goods and services (examples are 07, 09, 14 and 16 budgets). To initiate a refund from a revenue budget, complete a Refund Check Request (UoW1768). Deposits should not be considered revenue and should not be recorded under a revenue code.

Credit Invoices and Refunds

Credit Invoices and Refunds should include the following information:

  • UW Purchase Order number
  • Credit Memo number
  • Credit Memo date
  • Detailed item description (as described on the PO)
  • Reference to the original invoice number
  • UW customer contact information (person who placed the order
  • Address the items were shipped to

How Credit Invoices and Refunds are processed:

Credit Invoices and Refunds are processed separately from invoices. Credit Invoices and Refunds are applied directly to the original invoice that was paid to the vendor. The credit will show on the vendor's account. Once credit Invoices and Refunds have been processed, they will be applied to the next payment made to the vendor. If no further payments are to be made, a request for a check refund from the vendor is the next step. If a credit memo has been on a vendor's account for 90 days, Accounts Payable will send a letter to the vendor requesting a check refund. Accounts Payable will send two more reminder letters if no response is received from the vendor. If the refund is not received, the department will be contacted and the credit memo will be removed from the account and the budget will be charged back for the credit amount as a debt.

Reasons & Procedures

Damaged Goods/Returned Merchandise

A vendor has been paid on an invoice for goods that arrived damaged or that you want to return.


  • Contact the vendor to request a Returned Goods Memo (or use this RGM Form) or authorization from the vendor for the return.
  • Return the actual items to the vendor along with a copy of the Returned Goods Memo or authorization.
  • Request the vendor send a check or credit memo to Accounts Payable at Roosevelt Commons West, Box 354967, 4300 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98195.
  • Advise the vendor to reference the invoice number or purchase order number, where applicable.
  • Accounts Payable will credit the original invoice upon receipt of a credit from the vendor.

Duplicate Payment

Duplicate payments occur when an invoice is paid twice. This happens most frequently when a vendor submits two different reference numbers.


If you find a duplicate payment on My Financial Desktop for the same invoice, please notify PCS Help at,


When a vendor is paid at a price that is higher than the contracted price, overpayment occurs. This situation represents the majority of misbillings and overpayments.


  • Contact the vendor and request a credit memo or refund. Refund check is preferred.
  • A credit memo will be used against future payments to that vendor and should be routed to Accounts Payable at Roosevelt Commons West, Box 354967, 4300 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98195.
  • Advise the vendor to reference the Purchase Order number on all correspondence, checks, or credit memos.

Payment Made to the Wrong Vendor

Payments sometimes can be issued to the wrong vendor. This can happen when there is a discrepancy between the vendor name on the order and/or the vendor name on the invoice. These situations are usually identified when the correct vendor notifies the University regarding non-payment, yet the system indicates payment was made.


If you receive a call or notice of non-payment from the vendor, contact Accounts Payable customer service at

Reverse Expenditure

A Reverse Expenditure is a true expenditure reduction such as a refund from a vendor of a previous payment which results in the cancellation of an expense (i.e. duplicate payments, returned goods, cancellation of an unused airline ticket), or proceeds from the disposition of equipment or scrap material that results in full or partial recovery of expenses.

Back to Top