Electronic Payment Program
The University of Washington is embracing sustainable and green initiatives to reduce paper use throughout our campuses. Part of this effort is utilizing electronic payment methods instead of paper checks.
Automated Clearing House (ACH) is an electronic network for financial transactions in the United States. ACH credit transfers include direct deposit, payroll and supplier payments.
The University uses an ACH product provided by Paymode from Bottomline Technologies, a part of Bank of America’s electronic payments solutions. Electronic deposits mean faster payments, better security, and more visibility to payment detail within the Paymode-X system.
Signing Up for Paymode
Step 1: Click on the link below to fill out the online form. Online enrollment takes less than 10 minutes.
Step 2: Paymode will communicate with you to verify the information that was submitted, a process called "authentication."
- Authentication includes: 1) providing supporting bank documents like a voided check copy and/or statement showing legal account name, and 2) verification of the business through external business registries. Paymode will make an outbound confirmation phone call to the business using contact information that is found through one of these other business resources.
- Only when the full process of authentication is complete will registering companies be sent an email from Paymode-X with the subject line “The Paymode-X Membership for [Company/Supplier Name] is Active.”
Step 3: Paymode issues the University of Washington a system download once weekly once your Paymode account is fully activated. The University receives these updates on Thursdays and newly activated accounts are usually updated by Friday.
Processing time for ACH account activation can take 3 - 5 weeks. For questions regarding the Paymode process, or to expedite the authentication process, please call Paymode-X at 877-443-6944 and identify yourself as a University of Washington supplier.
Suppliers Not Required to Sign Up for ACH:
- Individuals who have no business name, i.e.: no LLC, Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, DBA (Doing Business As), etc.
- Suppliers being paid a single time, will have no further business with the University of Washington but do not accept credit cards.
- If you accept credit card payments, departments may be able to use their department ProCard is the purchase is ProCard-allowable. Please verify with the department.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a notice that you will not be doing any future business after one payment. After a single payment, the supplier information will no longer be accessible in our system.