Electronic Payment Program
The University of Washington is embracing sustainable and green initiatives to reduce paper use throughout our campuses. Part of this effort is utilizing electronic payment methods instead of paper checks.
Automated Clearing House (ACH) is an electronic network for financial transactions in the United States. ACH credit transfers include direct deposit, payroll and supplier payments.
The University uses an ACH product provided by Paymode from Bottomline Technologies, a part of Bank of America’s electronic payments solutions. Electronic deposits mean faster payments, better security, and more visibility to payment detail within the Paymode-X system.
Signing Up for Paymode
Step 1: Click on the link below to fill out the online form. Online enrollment takes less than 10 minutes.
Step 2: Paymode will communicate with you to verify the information that was submitted, a process called "authentication."
- Authentication includes: 1) providing supporting bank documents like a voided check copy and/or statement showing legal account name, and 2) verification of the business through external business registries. Paymode will make an outbound confirmation phone call to the business using contact information that is found through one of these other business resources.
- Only when the full process of authentication is complete will registering companies be sent an email from Paymode-X with the subject line “The Paymode-X Membership for [Company/Supplier Name] is Active.”
Step 3: Paymode issues the University of Washington a system download once weekly once your Paymode account is fully activated. The University receives these updates on Thursdays and newly activated accounts are usually updated by Friday.
Processing time for ACH account authentication and activation can take 3 - 5 weeks; in some circumstances, an initial payment may be made by the University of Washington via paper check as a courtesy while your account is being authenticated. For questions regarding the Paymode process, or to expedite the authentication process, please call Paymode-X Customer Support directly at 877-443-6944 and identify yourself as a University of Washington supplier.
Suppliers Not Required to Sign Up for ACH:
- Individuals (including Sole Proprietors) who have no business name for their legal entity name nor a "Doing Business As" / "DBA" / "Disregarded Entity" name. Paymode-X's authentication process requires that you have a business name to set-up a Paymode-X account.
- If you accept credit cards, UW departments may be able to use their departmental purchasing credit card (ProCard) if it's an allowable purchase for that payment method. Please check with your UW department contact before registering as a supplier.
- Suppliers requesting a single payment with no continued business, and do not accept credit cards.
- One-Time Check Payment Option - On Step 2 of the Supplier Registration Form (SRF): "Are you requesting a single payment with no continued business?"